By veektoor
I've been after this species for a while and I finally got a colony. I think this is going to be my new favourite colony, I love the coloration and size difference between the huge majors and the relatively small minors.

I received them on Friday and left them to settle for a couple of days before I took any pictures and they seem to be fine with no dead.

I have them housed in a plastic RUB with a clay, sand and gravel substrate. The temperature at the moment is 27° which I might raise slightly depending on how active they are. This is only a temporary setup while Nardimai makes me a custom nest.

I fed them maple syrup which they immediately started drinking and some wax worms which they seemed less bothered with.

*the test tubes make the workers look small when in fact the test tubes are huge. Check out the bottle cap for size reference.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
By milant
Wow they're stunning. Personally I think they'd look better on a white substrate as their gold gasters seem to blend in a little too much
By Leafcutter
Looking good. I'd say white would look best for taking photos of these. You've probably seen my journal and the Ytong nest I used. This species requires no hydration of their nest. Of course provide water in the outworld, but they are good in dry conditions.

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]