Discussions on wild and captive ant experiments as well as news stories and public studies involving ants.
Hi everyone, I wanted to post a recent experiment I did on a Lasius Alienus queen. I caught her during a nuptial ant flight and put her into a test tube. 10 mins later i brood boosted her with about 100 coccons from another nest of the same species I found under a rock. She took off her wings on top of the pile of cocoons and begin moving them around, 20 mins later a worker emerged from one of the many cocoons. She accepted it. By the next day about 20 others hatched and she accepted them as well. Today, 1 Week later she has 50+ workers and has begun laying eggs which the workers are taking care of and taking care of the queen as well.

However I would like to know if this species eats the cocoon of hatched workers and how large on average do these colony's get.
No, this species wont eat the empty cocoons from hatched workers. In fact i don't know of an ant species that does that. The colony can grow to about 40.000 workers.
nortorn wrote:No, this species wont eat the empty cocoons from hatched workers. In fact i don't know of an ant species that does that. The colony can grow to about 40.000 workers.

I was hoping they would use the cocoons as a protein source :oops: However I like the idea of the colony size. I think the Ant kit store has a perfect nest for this species. Are you aware as to whether they are reliable or not.
Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]