Keep your ant journals in here
Hi everyone.

So here's my new Queen, just received last week from Antkit. She looks absolutely lovely and healthy, although a bit scary, I wouldn't want a sting from this bad girl! There's also about 9 larvae/pupae looking real good, hopefully to be the new workers if all goes right.

I'm used to seeing the puny lasius niger ants in England and when I received this queen I was happily shocked in size.

I'll post this one picture today, just of her in the test tube (not a great pic, sorry) and I'll order a macro to get some better pics for the future. I'm going to setup the formicaria tomorrow and hopefully takes some shots of that too, if the grout turns up.

I'll update when things progress. I'm still a novice so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, especially as I can't find much info on this Manica rubida species.
RobJ, jonthefish liked this
Fed her a mealworm and she devouered it straight away. I've fed her 3 times now and the first 2 times she attacked the piece of drinking straw before eating. This third time she was less aggressive and didn't attack but just ate straight away, either she really liked the food or she's getting used to me feeding her?

Sorry for the bad picture, I had difficulty compressing the file and using the forums uploading software. It took me some time! I'm using a phone for pics and a crappy tablet, so had to take a picture with the phone, email to the tablet, download paint and compress the pic file. Then I uploaded the compressed paint file. Does anyone have a better solution for uploading pics on here? Cheers.
By milant
Empire of the Ants wrote:Fed her a mealworm and she devouered it straight away. I've fed her 3 times now and the first 2 times she attacked the piece of drinking straw before eating. This third time she was less aggressive and didn't attack but just ate straight away, either she really liked the food or she's getting used to me feeding her?

Sorry for the bad picture, I had difficulty compressing the file and using the forums uploading software. It took me some time! I'm using a phone for pics and a crappy tablet, so had to take a picture with the phone, email to the tablet, download paint and compress the pic file. Then I uploaded the compressed paint file. Does anyone have a better solution for uploading pics on here? Cheers.

she most likely saw the straw as a threat so attacked it but now shes used to the straw and knows it means food so doesnt attack. my ants used to chew the skewer i used but now they dont
By RobJ
Try tapatalk app. It's great for uploads etc.

Thanks
RobJ
Ok, here's some new pics of the formicaria setup I just made, its the Antkit starter kit4. Got the grout yesterday and had a play. I'm quite happy with the style although I had a lot of ideas, it was just too small to do much with it, mainly height wise. Should be quite good for my new queen, I can't wait to move her in when she's ready. I won't be rushing the process tho. I'm going to wait for a few workers to develop in the test tube setup before releasing them into the arena.
20160705_110726.jpg

I made a little base with a few holes drilled in the cardboard to put on the heatmat.. Just so it doesn't get too hot. I got a thermohygrometer from a hydroponic shop too. Also cable tied the tube onto the nest, just in case it ever loosend off, wouldn't want any escapee's of this species.
Attachments
20160705_110726.jpg
20160704_233809-1.jpg

Here's a couple of close-ups of the arena. I'm quite happy with the way its gone, got some nice ridges with the grout. There's a live air plant on the log. My local pub so kindly 'donated' a few little bits of fake plant and flowers too ;-)
Attachments
20160704_233809-1.jpg
By RobJ
Looks great. The ants will love it

Thanks
RobJ
OK, update time. Here's a couple more pics of my first born, I'm extremely happy & excited! There's a few more pupae on the way too, so hopefully some more workers soon. I'll place the test tube in the arena when I have 3 or 4 workers. I don't really like opening the test tube much as the queen gets a bit angry and rushes me when I do. Its quite hard to place food and remove things so I'm guessing its gonna be more difficult with a few more workers in there.
Cheers Jon. Hopefully I can get a nice brood going like yours. I got a few more pupae ready very soon so should have more workers, hopefully in the next few days. I can see one or two just changing to workers. I moved the test tube into the arena today as you suggested.
IMG_20160715_210039.JPGJPG

This is one of my airplant pups I used Jon. You could have one of these if you ever wanted. I can't remember the name, but it produces lovely yellow flowers when in season. I think its more of an uncommon one too.
Attachments
IMG_20160715_210039.JPG
Yeah, these outworlds are tiny. Its not too bad when the test tube and foil are removed if you look at the top pictures. Only a temporary thing until the queen moves into the nest. I can always take out the root wood too.
Good morning fellow enthusiast

I started ant keeping when I was younger but never[…]