Keep your ant journals in here
By Hogy-Bear
I am expecting a colony with 150-200 workers.
Have bought an antkit size 32 for them. Will update when they arrive.
By Hogy-Bear
I know, but I fill my nests with a soil mix so they just dig it out when they need extra space :-). It worked for my pheidole, lasius and messor.
Just one queen.

Edit: I decided to go smaller but mostly because my antkit order was reaching £200 and I need to buy upgrades for 3 colonies that will be growing fast soon.
Precision08 liked this
By Hogy-Bear
So arrived and there's more than 200 of them. My antkit order won't arrive for a while so I just gave them a huge test tube attached to a gpps arena. I'll upload pics later today when my camera is charged.

Also found out the hard way that these guys can lay a mean sting...
By Gh0st SK
Hogy-Bear wrote:So arrived and there's more than 200 of them. My antkit order won't arrive for a while so I just gave them a huge test tube attached to a gpps arena. I'll upload pics later today when my camera is charged.

Also found out the hard way that these guys can lay a mean sting...

how bad is their sting?
By Hogy-Bear
Most say like a nettle but I don't usually mind nettle stings. The pain of this sting lingered for about 20 minutes, not a severe pain but enough to distract you, more than a nettle but less than a bee.
By Hogy-Bear
What!! Mine won't eat a thing... I'm out of mealworms so I've tried chicken, egg, turkey (Tesco's finest), ham, cereal, nuts, a spider and a worm. Nothing was eaten...
By Hogy-Bear
Finally got them to take a waxworm! I can see if I look into the nest that there is a brood pile now.
By Gh0st SK
Hogy-Bear wrote:Finally got them to take a waxworm! I can see if I look into the nest that there is a brood pile now.

i am getting this species I hope they will eat mealworms or superworms :D
By Hogy-Bear
Yeah they would. I just fed waxworms because that's what I have at the moment. The local pet shop gave me them for free because I told them they were for ants :-D
By Hogy-Bear
currently trying to get the colony to move into a testube while I fix the nest. They don't care at all about light maybe i'll use a bit of heat and see

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]