Keep your ant journals in here
Hi all,

Thought I would make a little journal for this colony I have. Maybe 50+ colony with several majors. Extremely shy, yet aggressive and completely nocturnal :-(

I've had this colony for a month or so in a temporary housing but made a custom outworld for them. I purchased a small and medium acrylic formicarium nest from Antkit but everything else is what I've made myself. I left the small formicarium with light on so they move into main nest in the vids.

So there was a big move and was really fun watching. It was instant as soon as I placed them inside the outworld they went from test tube to nest in minutes, guess they enjoyed it! I made several short vids I'll post up.

FEEDING
Mixed seeds (almost any seed they can carry),
Sugar/honey/maple syrup water (although only seen drinking once when first purchased colony),
Insects: woodlouse/fruit flies/crickets (they love woodlouse)
Last edited by Empire of the Ants on Sun May 14, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ill post some pics of the outworld etc later when I can be asked. There's not much to be said about them really lol I never see them. They don't move until I turn the lights out, almost pointless to keep really. I have other species that are much more rewarding to watch than these Messor barbarous. I wouldn't recommend them really....

Does anyone have Messor barbarous that are NOT nocturnal?

I love seeing the majors carry extremely large seeds or insect. They're ridiculously strong, they make my other species of ants look so weak. Very sensitive to movement or light.

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]