Keep your ant journals in here
By Cyrus01
20/10/2018
So it's happened a bit sooner than planned and I've got my third colony. Thanks to a fantastic price on Britishants.com I bought a starter colony of Camponotus Herculeanus. Within 48 hours of ordering I received my queen +3 workers and a small brood pile. I gave them a small drop of honey water in cotton wool. Instantly two of the workers proceeded to feed. I'm amazed at the size of the queen, even the workers are larger than my lasius niger queen. With their beautiful colouring for the midsection I'm really looking forward to this colony growing. So for now I'm going to just top their strength up with plenty of sugar water and a bit of protein before placing them into hibernation next week.

Colony stats

Workers: 3
Brood: Yes
Temp: 25.2 degrees
Humidity: 51%
By Cyrus01
28/10/2017
My colony of Camponotus Herculeanus have now started the process of hibernation. This is their first winter & first time in hibernation.

Colony stats
Brood: yes
By Cyrus01
20/03/2018
My colony survived hibernation and were bought out of it on the 1st March.
They are currently in a new Eden Formicaria Micro Mag Nest and have settled in well.
Having filled half the nest with grit partly blocking the entrance.
They already have a small brood pile.

Colony stats
Brood: Yes
Temp: 23.2 degrees
Humidity: 75%
By Cyrus01
10/04/2018

So this colony is acting strange. A few days ago I noticed a worker had taken two pupae and a larva out into the out world.
Fearing the worse I carefully placed them back into the nest. Maybe not the best thing to do as I’m sure they had a reason for bringing them out.
It was funny to watch that worker spend the next 20 minutes searching the area for them not knowing we’re I had placed them.
Several days later it happened again, this time I left them.
But later that day the queen and all the workers joined the pupae in the outworld.
24 hours later and they are all still in the out world.
My hope is that they will be back in the nest when I get home tonight but I’m not holding my breath. Having sort advice from a more experienced keeper I now believe I have a humidity issue.
Some how I need to get it down, so tonight I will remove the water and sugar water feeders for a few days and see if I can dry the nest out. Being a removable ytong nest I may remove it (as it’s currently empty) and try to dry it out abit. I guess this is a downside to having a ytong nest inside the outworld.

Colony stats
Brood: yes
Temp: 23.5
Humidity: 87%
Hello from Massachusetts

Dear users from this forum As JavianSB stated, th[…]

I keep Lasius Niger as well, I received my queen a[…]

Javian's Lasius Niger

Hi again, there's really no need for another intro[…]

Javian's Camponotus Journals

It’s been almost 8 or 9 months since the last time[…]