By Leafcutter
Just bought a colony of Camponotus fulvopilosus from a private seller and it will be shipped to me on Monday by DHL. It's a colony of around 100 workers which will be arriving in its nest. The seller said that it's an unusual colony with different worker colourings and hair colour so it'll be a nice surprise :).
By Leafcutter
jonthefish wrote:That is well cool, nice one Leafcutter.

It was great that I found the guy as he wanted to sell them on to someone as he needed a bit more space for other ant colonies. When I spoke to him, he was very committed about the ants' wellbeing so that's brilliant.
By Leafcutter
I've been speaking to the guy who I've bought the colony from. The Queen was caught in January 2014 which makes the colony a year and a half old. He also said that he never watered the Ytong nest but just supplied a water source in the foraging area and the ants are thriving. He also said the ants are super-fast moving soon going to have to have a lid in addition to a PTFE barrier :D.

I'm planning on moving them into a couple of new custom designed Ytong nests made by AntKit (great work Antsy :) ). They will sit inside a foraging area so that I can accurately heat the setup.
By AKF
Never fear, the queen will fit ;)

By Leafcutter
Just ordered a 60 x 30 x 30cm tank for the Ytong to reside in from Antstore along with a bunch of accessories. And I couldn't resist a Canponotus cosmicus Queen so the order should be arriving Thursday or Friday :D.
By Leafcutter
The colony is being shipped tomorrow and I've got the tracking number now so I'll keep you guys updated :).
By Leafcutter
The Ants Have Arrived :D

Got a load of pictures today and I'm happy to say not a single dead ant that I can see :). The colours are amazing and thee size of the majors is very impressive too. Here's the flood of pictures :D.

The Queen :D

The big brood pile:

By number6
very nice :)
By Leafcutter
number6 wrote:very nice :)

Yep, I love them, especially because there is variation between the colours of the workers with some being slightly red and some black. They are very fast too so when I crank up the heat they'll be running around the nest like crazy :D.

They have started exploring their new Ytong nests and I must say, I though these ants were good at climbing but it seems that they lack grip on the clear tubing.
By number6
after the trip they might have tired legs lol lovely colors ill look forward to seeing them once they are moved in and happy :)
By Leafcutter
Akz Ant-Keeper wrote:MORE PICS!! ;)

There will be more pictures soon as hopefully the Antstore delivery will arrived Monday/Tuesday so the Ytong nests will go straight into the tank. Im currently away and will get back home tomorrow so I hope the ants have been behaving themselves and moving into the new nests :). I've got a ceramic heater coming too so it will provide the colony with the extra needed heat to increase their metabolism and brood development rate.

I have to say, I'm very pleased with the colony :).
By Leafcutter
All the ants seem to have settled down now and about 20 workers are currently in the new nests but most of the ants, including the Queen, are still in the old nest. I've put a bright light in front of the old nest as to encourage them to move to the darker area and since the old nest is not heated they should move in pretty soon. Although I know how stubborn ants can be lol :D. The Antstore order should be here Monday/Tuesday so I'm hoping a migration occurs with the ants. I've got a ceramic bulb holder but my local pet store was out of stock of all cermaic bulbs so I'm ordering one today for next day delivery, Tuesday hopefully :).

Note the worker which looks a bit like a Camponotus storeatus worker :D.

By Leafcutter
Just witnessed the Queen of this colony laying an egg. I've been taking a closer look at the different workers and there are so many variations in the colours and patterns of hairs on the gasters. From the C. storeatus colours to plain yellow to the individual patterns. Some with no patterns, some with stripes. Truly an amazing colony :D.
By Leafcutter
The colony moved into the new Ytong nests while I was away and I was very happy about it. There was one major worker still walking around in the old nest but I got her out safely. The colony is now in the tank and I applied a 1 inch layer of PTFE to make it easier for me to open the tank. I had the ceramic heater on and off throughout the day and it got up to 37 degrees C in the tank and the ants seemed fine. The previous owner of this colony said they were fine even at around 40 degrees C! :D.

By Leafcutter
Feeding time at Camponotus fulvopilosus manor.

I ordered 100 dubia cockroaches but there's definitely not 100 :? Anyway they arrived today so a quick feed of the colony was filmed. This species currently does not accept crickets, although the ones I gave were micro crickets so maybe they didn't have enough bulk to them for the ants to recognise them as food :D.

I have heat on and off during the day until I can get myself a Habistat Pulse thermostat to control the temperature. The temperature has been up to 40 degrees in the basin and the ants don't seem to mind too much. Their reaction being a lot faster due to the heat and moving very very fast. Question for @Jonthefish here: do you heat your Camponotus fulvopilosus setup at all and if not, what's the average temperature?

The yellow hairs really stand out on their gasters due to the black/red bodies. Very pleased with the progress of this colony as there are piles of cocooned pupae and larvae but I suspect the colony is entering diapause because of the lack of eggs. I may just not have spotted the eggs but for this African species, between June and September, they enter a dormant stage where egg production ceases temporarily. This is known as diapause.

Couple of videos showing the ants' initial reactions to the dubia cockroach nymphs and some photos:

Have you been looking to buy passport, online, buy[…]