Share your ant related photos and videos here. Regular prizes of ant related booty for the best submissions.
Forum rules: Please prefix your posts subject with PHOTO: or VIDEO:

eg: PHOTO: My new Messor barbarus
or: VIDEO: Lasius niger foraging
Young man, thank you.
It's always a good idea to name the species of Queen ant, if you know it.
Also remember that this video has rather long musical episodes just watching still pictures. People may not have that much attention span.
A promising start, though.
Hi John, thanks for the feedback I'll pass on to Jack and make sure he names the queen in the species of the queen in his next video. I'll also make sure there is less music bits. Thanks again. Any comments on how he is looking after his queen Lasius Niger (hope I have the spelling correct would be useful.

Anthony (Jack's Dad)
Hi Anthony, yes Lasis Niger spelling is correct. Jack has to remember that winter is settling in now, so should not hope to see much action as the Queen settles in for hibernation. Have you both decided where her winter quarters will be?
Once decided, keep her on the quiet side and reasonably dark and cool. Check a couple of times-ish per month that she has access to water. The water in the tube she came in will be ample.
Thanks again John. Jack has her in his bedroom in a dark corner. He knows she won't do much until the spring. He is happy to just leave her, must admit I'm was surprised he didn't want to keep check. Jack has left her in the test tube and placed this (still shut by the cotton wool) in the outworld. This is for convenience more than anything else. Someone mentioned giving her sugar water, would he just put a small droplet in the test tube? Or would you say the water would be enough?
andavane liked this
Great video, very entertaining ending! Although I think you can agree with Andavane's suggestion to keep the non-video stuff concise (so you wouldn't be waving your hand for so long, you poor soul!). Yeah, you don't need to open it up until way after spring. I saw someone on YouTube comment to keep her in the fridge over hibernation, I don't think that's a good idea. The temperature required over hibernation is also not as precise as 4-9C, anywhere under 15 but not freezing is good. They also don't hibernate immediately on the 31st of October.

He seems to be really getting the hang of antkeeping, and I can see him being a YouTuber in the future!
Mikey from AntsCanada said ants don't do well at 10°C and below, 15°C is more preferable. Also the temperature drop shouldn't be too sudden (either expose them to the cold for a like an hour at the first day and gradually rise the duration they're in the cold or if you have an incubator slowly drop the temperature) because the ants need some time to build up the glycerol that makes them cold-resistent.
If you just put them from warm to cold they might all lie top-down the next day.
Last edited by Serafine on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi Serafine

Tanks again, I'll sit down with Jack and work out how we're going to manage the transition. My Budgie shed is normally somewhere between 15-10 but can drop down lower than that. Could put the heater up a bit or a while and then gradually drop it back down again.

Great advice on here as always.

:-)
Jackb3794 wrote:Thanks again John. Jack has her in his bedroom in a dark corner. He knows she won't do much until the spring. He is happy to just leave her, must admit I'm was surprised he didn't want to keep check. Jack has left her in the test tube and placed this (still shut by the cotton wool) in the outworld. This is for convenience more than anything else. Someone mentioned giving her sugar water, would he just put a small droplet in the test tube? Or would you say the water would be enough?

Well, it's your choice really. Different people do different things.
Personally I wouldn't put any food inside the tube at this time of year.
A recent tale: Last week[ish] I received a Lasis Niger Queen in a tube with a few workers and a few eggs. My carer Raj [Bullet Rajah] removed the cotton wool and connected the tube to an elbow-joint plus a "Mini Outworld" (RobJ introduced me to these) and I had a little bit of clean sand/soil/ tiny wood chip in that Outworld. I also left a small piece of foil with a small drop of honey water on it. Within a short period the Queen plus her eggs and brood had moved into the elbow. Also I slid a tube over transparent red acrylic over the test tube so they have some privacy (and what is dark for them!)
Then blow me down two days later she had moved them back again so at least she has a choice. Also they have carried the soil/sand to block the tube entrance. That means they have what they want.
Now re the honey water, when I took a peek at the Queen her faster (rear end) was blown up with the honey water!
I shall be switching their heating off next week and leaving them till February 2017.
Tomorrow Raj and I will try to post a photo.
Take care Anthony and Jack!

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]