Discussion relating to ants kept in different types of mediums, soil, sand etc.
By RobJ
Does anybody know where I can buy some white ytong block ?

Thanks
RobJ
By ManicaLuca
Jewsons
Travis Perkins
Some Wickes stores

I have also seen it at various independent builder's merchants

You can also buy it online per pallet
By RobJ
Really the white version like in the antkit gear ?

Thanks
RobJ
By ManicaLuca
Yep, we used to buy it from Jewson when we only needed a little bit.
By RobJ
Right thanks a lot

Thanks
RobJ
By RobJ
Oh great. I might try my hand at it one day. I also found anthouse.es website will sell you a peace for about 5 pounds. I wonder if antkit would start selling it. They could cut a place of plexiglass the same size as the piece of ytong and sell it as a make you own nest set. Bet that would sell. I would buy for sure lol.

Thanks
RobJ
By Daubz1977
I was tempted to buy it from AntHouse but it's coming from Spain im worried I will receive a box of dust.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
jeoff82 liked this
By ManicaLuca
At one point AntKit sold "blanks" which included a leveled ytong block with a recess already cut for the acrylic, a laser cut piece of acrylic and all the bolts. All one needed to do was carve their own design.

Surprisingly there wasn't a lot of interest but we could certainly list it again if people want it.
By Daubz1977
I would but that mate

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By RobJ
I would be very interested

Thanks
RobJ
By ManicaLuca
Alright, I'll get some blanks made up at the end of this week and post the details over the weekend.
By RobJ
Am now going to wait for antkits nest making kit I much prefer to get the kit from antkit than source it all myself.

Thanks
RobJ
By Dave33
Sorry for bringing an old thread back up, but I do so for anyone in the UK finding it difficult to find YTong. You can buy AAC blocks from B&Q. They are light gray but do the job. I suppose you could whitewash the caves using a grout and water mix if the gray is too dark or not good for the contrast of your ants colour.
This is irrelevant but I was told that there was problems with getting the ash used for the production in concrete last year and so this year its very difficult to aquire ytong.
By milant
i just went to a local building site and got some from the builders there. they're happy for you to take whatever you like as it reduces the amount of skip pickups they have to pay for. i decorated all my scorpion and gecko enclosures with stuff salvaged from building sites
Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]