Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
By Leafcutter
I've been busy and seems the mods haven't been online much either. Luke is busy with AntKit as it reopens on the 6th March.
By Dan
Well I'm under a lot of pressure right now with school, but I've been trying my best to come online every now and then. I still have a few ants left but I've been slowly giving them to 2 friends who've picked up the hobby.
By RobJ
Yes I've been busy to. But should be back to normal soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
20170303_184812.jpg
Hi Everybody,

As you might have guessed I am new to ant keeping. Today me first queen arrive, a messor Barbarus from AntsUk. She appears to have around 4-5 eggs but I didn't want to disturb her too much after my research. To keep her as well looked after as I can I have taken an old phone box cut six holes around the side and filled with cotton wool balls and later the base with balls too then place the tube on top as seen in the photos, is this suitable and do you think she will have enough air? I have left her in my wardrobe where it gets warm which I understand this species need. Also the cotton wool to her water is yellowish do I need to get another test tube and let her move in? If so what size? The one she is in is 16mm. Finally should I feed her? Or offer her a price offering treat from the stress of transport? Maybe a drop of honey on tinfoil or a fruitfly?
Thanks in advance,
Luke [img][img][/img][/img]
Attachments
20170303_190000.jpg
20170303_185658.jpg
20170303_185645.jpg
By Adam.ant
Looks good mate, best thing you can do it leave her somewhere warm and dark until she has workers. Messor barbarus Queens are fully claustral so don't need any food until after her first workers hatch. I would not bother with any honey as messor barbarus don't really like seat liquids as much as other ant species.

Just leave her be and try not to check on her often, just let her do her thing :-)

You are doing a good job so far :-)
Thanks for the help Adam.ant. I plan on leaving her for a while now as said because I will be working away through the week at Peterborough so will check her again Friday when I get back. It seems she has started making a waste pile. Should this be cleaned?
Attachments
20170305_221924.jpg
By Adam.ant
No don't worry about that, if she has put it there she is obviously happy with where the waste is. If she starts becoming restless and pulling at the cotton wool blocking the entrance then that is a sign she isn't happy and you should offer a new test tube.

But she looks happy at the moment :-)
By milant
Super noob question but does anyone know if Vaseline alone works as an escape prevention barrier? I've ran out of PTFE and my solonopsis geminata colony are quite the escapees. Thanks
By Cyrus01
Hi, what size set up would you recommend for a messor barbarus queen + 20-30? I'm thinking test tube connected to a robj mini out world as a start moving to a antkit modular out world later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By milant
I have a colony about that size and ATM they're in a size 2 modular. The majors take up a surprising amount of space and there's a huge brood pile + a rather large pile of seeds they like to horde
By milant
Jpeterson wrote:My queen is doing a lot of the digging all by herself. Is this normal?

What species of ant is the queen? Semi claustral queens are a lot more independent
By milant
Cyrus01 wrote:Thanks for the response Milant, I guess you mean a size two out world. What size nest are you using?

I use the size 2 nest. I'm not sure if it's available anymore
By Jpeterson
milant wrote:
Jpeterson wrote:My queen is doing a lot of the digging all by herself. Is this normal?

What species of ant is the queen? Semi claustral queens are a lot more independent

Pavement ant

By Jpeterson
milant wrote:Does she have workers if so how many? Nearly all queens dig as that's where they make their nests underground so she may still dig if she has no/low workers

Tragically her workers are all but gone:(

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]