Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
By nortorn
Hi,
you've got a short question or need an advice, and you don't want to open a new thread just for this purpose?
Ask your short questions here and I, and other experienced antkeepers will do our best to answer it as soon as possible.
You can ask every question here, no matter if it is about building a nest, temperature, feeding, behavior or the development of your ants.
Sean liked this
By David..
i have an small colony of Messor barbarus
queen, 10 workers and some eggs
i have her in a small ytong nest about 16cm x 16cm
my question is how do i keep the nest humid and yet have a dry
area for seeds i often see condensation on the tunnels,
is there nest too small ?

i slo have a small heat mat i could use perhaps to keep temps warmer

thanks
By formica123
David.. wrote:i have an small colony of Messor barbarus
queen, 10 workers and some eggs
i have her in a small ytong nest about 16cm x 16cm
my question is how do i keep the nest humid and yet have a dry
area for seeds i often see condensation on the tunnels,
is there nest too small ?

i slo have a small heat mat i could use perhaps to keep temps warmer

thanks

Hydrate 1 side if the nest, and leave the other side dry. Then you can also use a heatmat if needed
getting my first Ant colony next week,

was wondering what is the difference in buying a single queen by her self and a queen with workers?

is it basically buying a queen with workers means it will grow faster than just a queen by herself?
By Dan
SugarGliderDude wrote:getting my first Ant colony next week,

was wondering what is the difference in buying a single queen by her self and a queen with workers?

is it basically buying a queen with workers means it will grow faster than just a queen by herself?

It's an extra bit of security, because it means she's already established and has a bit of help in raising brood. I think it also assures you that she is capable of having workers, she's not infertile or anything. So yes, although I'm not 100% of the reasons, it means a more reliable start to the colony.
By Nardimai
Having a little problem with feeding my Lasius niger, because i dont have any idea how much to feed them. Now i have given 2 times a week 3 little mealworm (without head :( ). There are lots of pupae, eggs etc. and about 100 workers. I also give honeywater in piece of cotton, but rarely see any of them drink it.
By nortorn
Do you cut the mealworms up into small pieces? If you just cut the head off, small and medium sized colonies tend to just feed on the cuts and leave it alone when it dried out. Cut it up in small pieces.
Keep offering them sugar water. Just a few workers can feed the whole colony by filling themselves up and distributing the sugar water inside the colony. Then they repeat the process.
By Nardimai
No i didn`t cut. I noticed one worker "digging" deep inside the shell and understand the shell is not their food. Now i offer honeywater with the cotton and keep the cotton moist every day.

i Think my Pallidulas has the same situation. I have wondering why they leave mealworms in upper chambers to dry and fruitflies they're carrying in the chambers where are larva and pupae. Pheidole indica can eat whole mealworm, maybe because they have now 7 big soldiers (much bigger than Pallidulas soldier)?

What if i feed them big cockroach or something else big, which they cannot carry inside?
By AntLove
@SugarGliderDude it varies from colony to colony even of the same species if they aren't taking to the nest try to make it more inviting make sure the humidity is where your species likes it and maybe heat half of the nest as well this should invite them in if these steps aren't possible it will just take time. There is another way make the test tube less hospitable for the colony make sure its exposed to direct light not heated though or close enough to over heat them you just want to make them uncomfortable not harm them while the nest itself is dark ants normally move to the dark also let the test tube dry out a bit They will move to where the humidity is more fitting.
By Nardimai
My Pallidulas have weird situation. Queen and half of workers and soldiers are in lower chamber and half of the workers and soldiers are in upper chamber far from the queen. Is this normal?
By nortorn
Yes, many species show this behaviour. Sometimes they even move into another nest with many workers + brood. If they think the upper chamber is more suitable, they will eventually bring the queen there soon too.
By Dan
Some pupae don't weave a silk cocoon around themselves, so they don't have that yellow-brown covering. Like if a caterpillar was to change into a butterfly without creating a cocoon first.

This photo might help explain:

Ignore the bottom half of the cocoon. The white ant is the pupa, the brown thing is its cocoon.
Occultus liked this
Dan wrote:
Adam.ant wrote:Is that an
Odontomachus species?? Love them!!

I think it's a giant bulldog ant, Myrmecia sp.

It is indeed a Myrmecia sp.
The mandibles of a pupa of Odontomachus sp wouldn't have a gap this big.
By AntLove
Ok Im very anxious because I am new to Ant keeping I've ordered a queen and 1-5 camponotus ligniperdus from Antkit and they shipped out yesterday should take 7-10 days according to the fulfillment quote to get here I also ordered a founding formicarium from Tarheel Ants and that ships out tomorrow should take about a week to get here Im not worried as a colony so small can easily reside within a test tube until their nest gets here. Is there anything id have to have for them when they arrive idk if Antkit give them anything to feed on during shipping protein jelly or something I have a setup in a large shoe box on my dresser with a cloth at the bottom to absorb ambient vibrations keep them dark and avoid air current changes that is where they will reside even when their nest arrives as its small enough to fit in the box is there anything I should have ready for them as this is my first time ordering ants and I dont want to mess up.
By AntLove
Crap just realized thats really not a short question im sorry just anxious and dont want to mess up trying to get as much knowledge as possible before I start.
By AntLove
Along with the nest though I ordered a feeding dish to keep the nest clean as possible protein jelly and the case to keep it fresh for a month to supplement honey and fruit ill give them until I get feeder insects. I mentioned this in case those are any of the things you were going to say I should have.
By nortorn
Don't worry too much. All they need at the beginning is a Nest (test tube), some sugar water and some proteins. Mine like usual flies but crickets and mealworms they don't like really. The shoebox is a good place to keep them in for a long time
RobJ liked this
By AntLove
@nortorn thank you very much Ive probably been over preparing because Im new to this just hope my colony arrives ok considering how long they are in the postage.
By Dan
Firstly, I'm not sure about that 7-10 days, AntKit usually try to post live ants as quick as possible. However, they wouldn't need to move out of the test tube for months yet. You would probably need to give them a drop of sugar water (on wax/baking paper, I recommend), but if they don't have any brood they don't need protein as only larvae eat protein (I think!). They're not quite as stressful to keep as it might seem, but good luck!
By AntLove
@Dan it quotes me 7-10 days on the site because Im in Italy though i live on a navy base and the address is an "American" address even though its in a foreign country im hoping its only quoting me this time table because it assumes its going to America based on the base address. So it should arrive however long it normally takes Antkit to ship to Italy.
By Orcydog
SugarGliderDude wrote:i accidentally bought maple syrup instead of honey....

is maple syrup ok for Singularis ????

thanks

Maple Syrup has been a favourite among Camponotus ant keepers!

By Dan
SugarGliderDude wrote:i accidentally bought maple syrup instead of honey....

is maple syrup ok for Singularis ????

thanks

Maple syrup water (diluted) is absolutely fine, but I believe it still ferments as quick as honey, so must be consumed or removed within a short period of time (a day, maybe).
By Dan
andavane wrote:Hi
Is it possible to order an all-in-one Ytong based tank with half decorated and half left blank?
Regards
John

One of our AntKit staff members will likely reply to you here, but you'd be better contacting AntKit directly on the website in future.

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]