Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
By ANTEXPERT
Hey guys.

Long story cut, I decided to rent out my house two years ago and could not take my two large ant colonys to the new house we were buying. I decided to uncouple the two tanks containing the colonys and partially bury them at the bottom of the garden and open up all the flaps. I got bit many times doing this One contained a mature Myrmecia pyriformis and the other a growing Solenopsis invicta colony. I didn't think they would survive long in the cold Birmingham climate but didn't have the heart to exterminate them. This week the tenants decided to move out so I visited the property to inspect before having viewings. I had a brief chat to my old next door neighbour who complained last year their garden was totally overrun by ants and they believe it caused the death of their cat, Tardis. I panicked a little because I can't remember if I ever told them I kept live ant colonys. I checked the garden found both species flourishing. I'm astonished. How far could they have got to? Is it too late to try and dig them up or should I let them be?
By Leafcutter
This is very damaging to the environment and also illegal to allow non-native species into the environment. Two very interesting species but Solenopsis invicta living in the UK is indeed very bad, they are the invasive fire ant species.
By scarletAsh
You need to destroy these colonies or at least pay someone else to do it and to ensure it is done. if they have managed to sustain themselves for 2 years.

The amount of damage these ants do to the environment and native species as well as to the economy (pointing fingers especially at solenopsis invicta here) is horrendous.

Responsibility to keep foreign species also means responsibility to dispose of them properly. You need to be transparent if these ants are established otherwise the ramifications could be potentially huge (even if unlikely). Incidents like this can be damning to ant keepers importing ant species and the ant keeping community as a whole. :/

Really do hope this is just a troll.
By nortorn
Wow, if the Solenopsis invicta colony produced alates, and given the time and their explosive development speed, they most likely have, you kicked off something very bad here. The Myrmecia I am not so worried about as it is already a miracle that they survived 2 winters. Still, many foreign species can adapt to the temperatures and the environment very fast and if they reproduce, they slowly but surely become more robust and can probably take over the environment. Digging the colonies out as soon as possible is the least thing you should do. You should also inform the local authorities, maybe they can also do anything.

I really hope this a late April fools joke.
By formica123
You could've gave the ants to someone on the forum, releasing them could be very damaging. Solenopsis are known to inbreed, and if these ants produce alates then they would be a mega force.

If I were you I would attempt to dig them up and if they have too big a colony pour boiling water and ant poison over them. It may sound cruel, but it's definitely what's needed.
By SugarGliderDude
yeah, looks like he's deleted his account, i'm a beginner Ant Keeper and even I know not to let Ants out into the wild..

I'm sure people on this forum would have bought them...
By Leafcutter
SugarGliderDude wrote:yeah, looks like he's deleted his account, i'm a beginner Ant Keeper and even I know not to let Ants out into the wild..

I'm sure people on this forum would have bought them...

Myrmecia I would have paid hundreds for.
By number6
wow i hope this is a wind up but if this is true lets hope he does the right thing and deals with it :x
By Nile Antboy
if all of this is true and if the colony has produced alates it could be almost imposible to get rid of the solonosis invicta out of Ingland and it would be very inportant to look after our native speices including birds, ants,amphibians, reptiles and even some mammals
By scarletAsh
Currently scanning over other ant related forums to see if this is just something made up but haven't yet found another post like this. Don't know what to make of it because Myrmecia pyriformis surviving in the U.K. for 2 years just screams absolute BS. Only 1 year would scream BS. On top of this I imagine any Myrmecia sp. to be extremely valuable so to just abandon what was most likely the most valuable ant colony of near any collection.

Also the fact that the motivation was "I didn't want to kill them" therefore the next sensible thing would have been release recognisably non native species into the UK. Seems a little too odd of a thought process. Especially as you're clearly an adult.

I do sincerely believe this just to be a troll how ever Solenopsis Invicta isn't particularly an alien species to play about with, not to say you should play about with any alien species but... never mind I'm sure you all get what I mean.

Not sure who would be the best authority to contact and what to tell them.
By Leafcutter
Plus where did he get Solenopsis invicta and Myrmecia pyriformis from? No one sells them.
By ANTEXPERT
Hello and thank you for the replys. I really really REALLY wish this was a joke.

I had a friend who works for a a local wildlife trust have a look. The back of my garden backs up onto a school field and we had a quick scout around to see if they had got through the fence. We found a nest nearby and then another. We ended up finding nests more than 50 meters away from our garden.We counted 4 separate colony's and we only walked around for a short time. They were all Solenopsis invicta. They react entirely the same when when their nest is provoked and look identical. My Ozy ants don't seem to have left the garden. Infact when I tried to point them out yesterday I couldn't find them. My friend said it could already be too late to destroy all the nests and if I come forwards now I could end up in a lot of shit. I made a mistake but I'm not going to pay out $1000s for it. I can't even in good conscious put poison down because it's on a school field, what if someone got poisoned?? So yep that's it. I guess the local environment will have to adapt.
By Dan
I'm pretty sure you could find a way to kill them without endangering any humans - most ant poisons are strong enough only to kill a 6mm insect, not a 6-year-old human. It would be risky to try and dig up and kill the queen and alates, but it may be necessary. Look at the grey squirrel issue.
By number6
@antexpert if you say your in the uk wouldn't you say 1000s of pounds not dollars and if your friend works for a wildlife trust then he would taken action regardless if your his friend or not.feel free to let me know where you are ill come and take a look
By number6
could dig holes in this story i love how a fence can stop them lol
By Dan
Well then I'm sure one of our members local to you can give you a hand getting rid of them without involving the authorities.
By ManicaLuca
I'm happy to offer the services of AntKit to ensure the safe disposal of these colonies.

We also have a duty of care to alert the Environment Agency of the release of non-native invasive species as they have the public funds and resources to deal with the outbreak and once neutralised they will put the area under observation for the next few years.
By jonthefish
The local environment will have to adapt?

That's the spirit .

I made a mistake, but im not paying for it.

This bloke is brilliant lol, With the title Exspert and $ mentioned. I can wait for what is next. I might sit here than watch the Walking dead tonight. :-D
By RobJ
Why don't you at least try a ant killer like a powder type or one of the high visibility poison traps. I would thought it would have been a easier idea to give the ants away to another ant keeper but it's to late now. I do think you should at least try! It's sad to try to kill them but there is a good reason for it being illegal. There's even a offer from the forum owner to help I would consider contacting him privately if I was you !

Thanks
RobJ
By Leafcutter
jonthefish wrote:The local environment will have to adapt?

That's the spirit .

I made a mistake, but im not paying for it.

This bloke is brilliant lol, With the title Exspert and $ mentioned. I can wait for what is next. I might sit here than watch the Walking dead tonight. :-D

[LIKE]
By number6
lets hope he takes the free help and advice and contacts someone and try to fix this
By Dan
number6 wrote:lets hope he takes the free help and advice and contacts someone and try to fix this

Let's hope this is a troll!
Gold fishes Lasius niger journal

I expect the colony to gain around 70 new workers[…]

Hello

Hello, I'm just getting into this amazing hobby of[…]

Good morning fellow enthusiast

I started ant keeping when I was younger but never[…]