Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
By Leafcutter
Peo wrote:do lasius niger ants or messor barbarus sting?

Hi there,

No those two species do not sting, Messor barbarus can bite and it'll feel like a small nip.
By Peo
Does messor barbarus sting?
How often do İ need to moisten a messor barbarus nest?
Do messor barbarus need to hibernate? What if not?
Do I need to keep a dry place in the nest that is not moisten?
By Leafcutter
Peo wrote:Does messor barbarus sting?
How often do İ need to moisten a messor barbarus nest?
Do messor barbarus need to hibernate? What if not?
Do I need to keep a dry place in the nest that is not moisten?

Hi,

Messor barbarus do not sting. The nest will need to be hydrated a maximum of twice a week I would say because Messor species are harvester ants and need a dry storage area for seeds. Messor barbarus do hibernate through the winter months. There needs to be a dry storage area for the seeds to prevent them germinating in the nest.
By Peo
İf messor barbarus needs to hibernation. I can'T hold them in doors cause it needs to 15 degree.
what can İ do to solve the problem? And how do I hydrate a acrylic nest?
By nortorn
Im not trying to be rude here, neither am i a moderator, but all these questions would have fit perfectly into just one post.

-For hibernation you could try to put the colony in the basement if the temperature is right there.

-Lasius niger should have a moist and a dry part in their nest. The moist part needs to be exactly that, moist, but not dripping wet.

-Yes, Messor barbarus and Lasius niger can survive high temperatures for a short amount of time.
To keep the colonies at the desired temperature you can try to change the place of the colony within the room to a lower spot. Direct sunlight can be deadly for the ants.

-acrylic nest usually have a sponge or any other way to hydrate them
By Peo
How can I use th hydration system in a messor barbarus nest? or in a random nest?
I mean with the sponge. how often do I need to hydrate?

I will make a messor barbarus colony but when I am on holidays it gets 35 degrees at my home. how can I solve this problem?

And in messor barbarus is hybernation required how can I do that I can'T make my room 15 degrees? what if They don'T do hybernation?

Sorry for bad grammar I don'T live in a country where they talk english İ only learn it in school (I am 14)
I tried hard.
By veektoor
I wouldn't buy them until you have all the information you need.

Start a new thread with some pics of your setup and people will be able to give you more detailed advice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By Peo
When I am on vacation it is getting 35 degrees in doors.
For messor barbarus there needs to be a maximum of 28 degrees how can I solve this problem?
By formica123
Peo wrote:When I am on vacation it is getting 35 degrees in doors.
For messor barbarus there needs to be a maximum of 28 degrees how can I solve this problem?

35 degrees won't be a problem, it gets to 40-45 here on summer and the Barbarus and structor are doing fine
Im sorry, but you know such things before you buy ants. I don't understand why some people start asking questions when it is basically too late, in a thread that is not really intended to be used for this. Asking the questions before buying the ants and planning everything right from the start could have prevented this misery. Just buy the most expensive ants you can find and put them into the oven, same effect. Just saying...
If you don't want to use a fan, your colony may or may not die.
You have to buy a new one which will die again from overheating. It will cost you money either way.
Is there no other room in the house where you could place the colony in for the time it is too hot in your room?

If you can't keep ants, for whatever reason, dont keep them.
Would you buy a horse and then ask where to put it? Of course you wouldn't.
scarletAsh liked this
By Peo
Can someone explain me the life of a messor barbarus colony? from queen and 5 to 10 workers in tube. Until they move in to the nest. what should I do as the important part? what could be the first steps of feeding them?
Where do you live. It might be you have local species that are easier to manage and sustain. Messor Barbarus at 35 celcius will struggle. If you do go with Messor barbarus then I would suggest a doil nest kept in the back of a cool cupboard inside a large glass container using soil so that they can better control conditions for themselves.
By Dan
I've gathered here some questions of Peo's that were dotted around the forum and hope they'll be more easily answered here.
By Dan
You said you needed these answers really quickly because you were about to order the ants. I would go on your holiday and relax, and then when you come back research heavily into what species lives locally and can live in high temperatures, and where and how you would keep them.
By Leafcutter
They eat a variety of seeds. I get bird seed mixes and they are fine eating this.
By andavane
With a sunflower seed, I split them and offer the kernel.
By Leafcutter
Yes the seeds need to be organic though, grass seed is readily taken by most colonies.
By Peo
Today I have bought a messor barbarus queen ant 20 workers. When should I let them go in to their nest or out world. and how often should I feed them in tthe test tube or should I let them go in to their nests.

Can someone explain me be process?

Thank You :)
By milant
you leave them in the test tube until the workers/queen start pulling at the cotton preventing them escaping or mold starts forming inside the nest.

I dont mean to be rude but that is pretty basic information and you shouldn't really be caring for ants without understanding their care needs.

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one