Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
User avatar
By Alex white
#18374
milant wrote:im unfamiliar with this species but it looks like she has wing scars


Exactly what i was thinking
User avatar
By milant
#18375
i truly have 0 knowledge on this species (i dont know what species it even is) *waits patiently for @leafcutter * but her gaster looks really small so maybe shes an alate that never got to mate so just shed her wings and became a normal worker? unsure
User avatar
By Leafcutter
#18377
milant wrote:i truly have 0 knowledge on this species (i dont know what species it even is) *waits patiently for @leafcutter * but her gaster looks really small so maybe shes an alate that never got to mate so just shed her wings and became a normal worker? unsure


I reckon it is a Queen of Neoponera spp. Looks a lot like N. villosa. Pachycondyla is the old genus name synonym of Neoponera.
User avatar
By Leafcutter
#18408
The wing scars indicate she is a Queen.
User avatar
By milant
#18409
when youre from the UK and have boring ants and people from exotic countries post pics of their native queens. jealous
User avatar
By rehyn
#18414
milant wrote:when youre from the UK and have boring ants and people from exotic countries post pics of their native queens. jealous


We have fun native ants, lasius Niger and flavus are few of the only ants who can survive our crazy unpredictable weather.

Underrated but still hardcore.
User avatar
By milant
#18415
rehyn wrote:
milant wrote:when youre from the UK and have boring ants and people from exotic countries post pics of their native queens. jealous


We have fun native ants, lasius Niger and flavus are few of the only ants who can survive our crazy unpredictable weather.

Underrated but still hardcore.


l.niger/flavus is a great beginner ant because theyre basically unkillable but we dont have the great, exotic species other countries have + im a northerner so all the cool species the UK has dont stand a chance up here. haha

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]