Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
By Spikeyols
I may be getting a colony of this really soon, I was wondering what nest to keep them in, also if anyone has any experiance with them please let me know.
By scarletAsh
I have never kept Carebera diversu and if you want to find more information on them you may find it under Pheidologeton diversus perhaps as that was what they were previously called. It's also commonly called the Marauder Ant and / or Asian Army Ant. Most of what I know of Marauder ants is from what is seen on websites selling them, youtube videos of them and brief coverings in books with most of it coming on from one at that. I'll put some sources of information down below of areas to find out more information on them.

Yotube
Just search any of their respective names in the search bar and you'll find a lot of videos related to them.

Dealer websites:
Antkit

Antstore

Antdealer
(Translated text - Translated by google translate so take it as you will)
[quote=AntDealer]Name: Carebara cf. diversa
Origin: Taiwan
queen: about 22 mm
workers: about 3 mm / soldiers: up to 20 mm
Food: mainly insects but also honey water etc.
Humidity: 50-70%
Temperature: min 22 / max. . 30 ° C (Arena)
Hibernation: No
Nest building: Soil nests

Features:
Carebara cf. diversa is often called the driver ant, even if it is not really a. This is due to the fact that it behaves in a similar way to driver's aids. Carebara cf. diversa sets very long to powerful lining streets. They attack every kind of insect by their surplus of workers. The powerful soldiers usually act to protect the colony with their small, slender workers. Partially, the workers also sit on the queen and the soldiers as they go. Large colonies are absolutely interesting. Their greed and hunting instinct is overwhelming. Here, a larger pool than an arena should be used at the beginning of the stance, as colonies can grow very quickly. Individual workers try to break out again and again by exploring weaknesses. Therefore, a good escape protection should be ensured. [/quote]

Ants Kalytta

Book

1) Mark W. Moffett (2010). Adventures Among Ants : A Global Safari With A Cast Of Trillions. London, England: University Of California Press. p11-70.

The book is more about the life of the author but contains good insight into the behaviour of the marauder ant. Is quite a nice book to read though. Especially if you're young and interested in ants.

Onto their temperature requirements. It is very high and more specific compared to most exotic species with a minimum recommended typically at 27 / 28 and a maximum of 30 degrees celcius. This makes it harder and more expensive (Questionably not much depending on equipment used) than your typical 24 - 28 degree celcius requirements found with many other species.

They have an omnivorous diet similar to that of say a species belonging to Pogonomyrmex in that they eat seeds, insects, meat and fruit however from what I've read into their behavior they seem to lean to wanting high sources of protein.

They do have stationary nests like most ant species as well however they can equally be described as a nomadic species in which they wish to move nests at a fast rate. No doubt because they typically seem to deplete their surroundings of sufficient resources. As you will be supplying the necessary resources for their survival this may not be such an issue and this behavior may well be suppressed. They do seem to have high risks of fungal and mite outbreaks however. Perhaps this is a fine art in nest making and maintaining the species never bothered to learn due to their happiness to venture elsewhere.

Personally if I were to keep them it would be in a very large tank filled with soil heated softly from below and heavily from the surface. This sort of set up would require a lot of equipment and effort to maintain but in my opinion be most appropriate. Likewise I would probably have a second tank to set up and have them move into then clean and recreate the first. Essentially doing constant rotation decided by them as to when.

For the founding you could probably get away fine with just using a standard small soil ant nest but you would have to judge well when they need upgrading. With large amounts of soil they can alter their nest environment to allow for better waste disposal, humidity retention and respectively ventilation which would help prevent mite, mold and fungal buildup.

I would imagine Carebara diversu is extremely difficult to keep once heading past the one year period if not after a couple of months but if you were to successfully keep them you would have the privilege to watch one of the most aggressive dominant species with fascinating behavior. Likewise though you'd probably be watching it mostly from the surface as a large basin soil set up would no doubt limit massively the amount of inner workings inside of the nest.

This is just my two pence on the issue anyway. I'm sure in regards to keeping someone with experience would be able to help you massively.

Just to add as well that your age is 13. I don't wish to mean this in a horrible manner but with your age and the added issues such as financial etc... that can arise because of it that the marauder ant is probably very ill suited to you and your money can be spent on a species which is not so difficult and demanding in environmental controls, dietary needs and escape prevention which I haven't even touched upon.
ManicaLuca liked this
By veektoor
I successfully kept terrapins at the age of 13, if you're dedicated you can do anything.

I would have a serious think about it and plenty of research because it could be quite costly as scarletash says and you dont want to kill any specimens. If you then decide to keep them I would get the setup perfect to stop problems arising futher down the line and if you do it gradually you will spread out the cost.

Just a little tip, before you buy anthing ask for advice because I and plenty others have bought equipment that was either unsuitable or just not needed, to save wasting money.

Good luck, Viktor.
By Spikeyols
Hi all thanks for all the advice, the deal has fallen througe anyway, but just beacuse I am 13 does not mean i am ill suited to keep them, maybe a tad financially, but i keep over 14 difffrent species of ants ranging from solonopsis to messor and camponotus, I belive that I could look after this species, sorry if that sounded rude, but i have had about 10 people in the last few weeks tell me I am only 13 and i can't do things, being young shouldn't hinder things such as your only 13 you should not have a channel, sorry if that sounded rude, it was not meant to be.
By 1000101010
i feel your pain
By scarletAsh
Spikeyols wrote:Hi all thanks for all the advice, the deal has fallen througe anyway, but just beacuse I am 13 does not mean i am ill suited to keep them, maybe a tad financially.

The address of age wasn't intended in terms of judgment of your competency in keeping ants and if I portrayed it as such I do offer my apologies. It was just a point in regards to the limitations often associated with age such as money, space to keep them, accessibility to resources etc...
By veektoor
If you're set on getting them maybe try constructing the enclosure and get everything ready for when they become available.
By Sirnight
Well when I was 11 and I earn $50 weekly by selling animals to my local pet store. Do not get discouraged just because you are at a young age. If you have the right mindset you can accomplish many things. I own 2 budgies that have been with me since age 8. Always try. But yes please look at websites before buying the ants.
By Crimz23432
They are a difficult species to keep so I hear as mentioned in the post due to their temp and humidity requirements! But do the research first and I am sure you will do well! Age is just a number:). Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Leafcutter
Spikeyols wrote:Hi all thanks for all the advice, the deal has fallen througe anyway, but just beacuse I am 13 does not mean i am ill suited to keep them, maybe a tad financially, but i keep over 14 difffrent species of ants ranging from solonopsis to messor and camponotus, I belive that I could look after this species, sorry if that sounded rude, but i have had about 10 people in the last few weeks tell me I am only 13 and i can't do things, being young shouldn't hinder things such as your only 13 you should not have a channel, sorry if that sounded rude, it was not meant to be.

I agree, age shouldn't be a factor but unfortunately that's the way the world works and it does happen; people can be very judgemental. Carebara are not hard to keep, ask Formica123 as all they really need is constant environmental conditions to thrive (food and water also haha!).
By veektoor
Don't be discouraged because it didnt work out. Like I said I would build the enclosure before aquiring them. Save the the money you were going to spend and xmas money put it towards something in the new year.

You could always ask for ankit vouchers as an xmas present.
By formica123
Hi dude,
You're 13, that's great! In facts - it's better than being older in a way, as you have more time to care for the ants than if you had to do 12 hour work days! Well, apart from the obvious drag of 6 hours a day at school... I was about 8 when I started keeping ants and 14-15 when I got my first Acromrymex, and trust me, Careabara are 10X easier to keep! But don't worry about money either, as i understand you are young and i will help you get a really cheap, big colony of Carebara Diversa (about a tenner) when you're setup is ready if you want :)

As for 'being difficult to keep'.... no, it's a myth. I've kept about 30 different colonies of carebara before selling them and they all grew very quick and did very well. My personally colony is one of my easiest ants to keep if I'm being honest. Just by a cheap aquarium, some plaster of Paris and a heatmat, and your all set really. The plaster of Paris nests are really easy to make and a big bag costs £5-£7 - and you can make 3-4 nests out of one bag in my experience. Then put the nest in the aquarium and pop a heatmat underneath - like this:
IMG_2964.JPG
IMG_2964.JPG (78.52 KiB) Viewed 903 times

Then just give them some soil and a mist every day, and they will do really well. You can expand the setup when you want with tubing but I'd recommend you start with a biggish tank as they do grow quick, but if you feed them less then they will certiantly slow down.

Hope I helped!
Thanks,
Formica
scarletAsh liked this

ants?

My colony

Episode 5: https://youtu.be/WfbSFKz8YYQ I hope y[…]

Ytong nests

Здравствуйте дамы и господа! [img]http://img10[…]