Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
By veektoor
Has anyone had experience buying from AntsCanada, just wondered how long it took to arrive and how much was the shipping fee?

Cheers, Veektoor.
By scarletAsh
Yeah I have a few hybrid nests and an omninest large. I really like the products as the hybrid nests = easy. I especially like the omninest purely just because you can remove chamber lids making cleaning easy as well. You'll be amazed at just how much can fit in there as well, also as you can open each individual chamber you can just block off parts of the nest to fit the colony and open it up.

My experience of postage with them goes from two weeks for delivery to a good months wait. I have had to pay custom fees twice out of three times and the customs is far more than you'd expect. Postage is also very expensive as I am sure you've noticed so just keep in mind the costs go up +++ for what you're paying for. For this reason I won't be buying any more AC apart from perhaps an extra large omninest far off into the future.
By veektoor
Yeah I don't think the postage and possible customs charges are worth it as I only really want their test tube holder and adapter.

Cheers for the info, if I do place an order I'll let you know and maybe we can do a joint order to save charges.
By Serafine
Custom fees might be completely removed soon due to CETA (of course if you're from the UK that will only benefit you until the UK has completed their utterly chaotic and planless exit from the European Union at which point you're probably going to have to pay custom fees for shipments from Canada (and the EU) again).
By Sirnight
I honestly recommend that u don't buy from AC at all. Although his products are great they are highly overpriced. I recommend THA instead. Quality Formicaria for good prices
By zlez93
Sirnight wrote:I honestly recommend that u don't buy from AC at all. Although his products are great they are highly overpriced. I recommend THA instead. Quality Formicaria for good prices

Just checked them out! Thanks for sharing.

A quick overview and their products look very nice! Do you know if you still end up paying custom fees though?
By Sirnight
Hmmm I don't know for AC but I do t think THA charges fees dunno for sure
By Yari88
Ofcourse you pay custom fees for THA. They are shipped from outside the EU. This makes THA products over the top expensive for us Europeans. I own a nucleus 360, nucleus custom double sided and some mini hearths. I do also however have a lot of Nardimais nests and his newly recently developed nests are just as good and some even better than THA nests.
By LadyMyra
I think I paid £8 customs for an Ants Canada nest. It's a great product, very sturdy, but as others have said they are expensive and to be honest I probably wouldn't order again unless I made a large order, as the shipping costs are insane.

I've yet to try THA but they look fantastic.
By T.C.
Hello, in my personal opinion I would not buy from Ants canada. His prices are very expensive. Ants Canada works off of his very popular you tube channel. He attracts new people to the hobby and hopes they buy from him since they are only aware of Ants Canada store and are not sure as to whether the price is fair or not. So they buy from him. I would recommend Tar heel ants or ant kit or there is a new ant store called 117colonies.com that has nice products and has fair prices.
By Yari
I own multiple THA nests and they are just as expensive because shipping prices to Europe are sky high. Import taxes add another 23-25% to the cost. I love THA but not the added expenses. Go check out Nardimai nests. They are similar and sometimes even better than THA for specific species! The new signum and honeypot nests look beautiful.
By andavane
veektoor wrote:Has anyone had experience buying from AntsCanada, just wondered how long it took to arrive and how much was the shipping fee?

Cheers, Veektoor.

Personally I don't rate AntsCanada. They don't have anything we can't rig up in the UK.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
By formica123
andavane wrote:
veektoor wrote:Has anyone had experience buying from AntsCanada, just wondered how long it took to arrive and how much was the shipping fee?

Cheers, Veektoor.

Personally I don't rate AntsCanada. They don't have anything we can't rig up in the UK.

I can buy EXACT replicas of omni nests and hybrid nests from china for £5 - I've even compared them side by side to each other and asked people to spot the real. Nobody could tell. Shows how much they overrate their products.
By veektoor
I
formica123 wrote:
andavane wrote:

Cheers, Veektoor.

I can buy EXACT replicas of omni nests and hybrid nests from china for £5 - I've even compared them side by side to each other and asked people to spot the real. Nobody could tell. Shows how much they overrate their products.

I need to get some Chinese connections :P
By ManicaLuca
formica123 wrote:I can buy EXACT replicas of omni nests and hybrid nests from china for £5 - I've even compared them side by side to each other and asked people to spot the real. Nobody could tell. Shows how much they overrate their products.

That's what all people that buy/sell pirate DVD's say.

Copying is easy!

Design, development and all associated costs of a legitimate business holding their own intellectual property costs a lot more than copying a design and throwing out cheap copies.

I can't fault AC, they have innovative products and put a LOT into the ant keeping community which we can all be thankful for. A fair price all depends on how much you want to pay for a brand and their efforts. Granted international shipping is eye-wateringly expensive except for the Chinese and their epackets deal, again the seller cannot be blamed for that.

As a business yourself formica123 I expected a better understanding rather than slating competition based on how cheap you can buy a knock off.
By formica123
ManicaLuca wrote:
formica123 wrote:I can buy EXACT replicas of omni nests and hybrid nests from china for £5 - I've even compared them side by side to each other and asked people to spot the real. Nobody could tell. Shows how much they overrate their products.

That's what all people that buy/sell pirate DVD's say.

Copying is easy!

Design, development and all associated costs of a legitimate business holding their own intellectual property costs a lot more than copying a design and throwing out cheap copies.

I can't fault AC, they have innovative products and put a LOT into the ant keeping community which we can all be thankful for. A fair price all depends on how much you want to pay for a brand and their efforts. Granted international shipping is eye-wateringly expensive except for the Chinese and their epackets deal, again the seller cannot be blamed for that.

As a business yourself formica123 I expected a better understanding rather than slating competition based on how cheap you can buy a knock off.

Wait wait wait - I've finished my business because I hate the way they work, knocking prices up 10x sometimes and completely (in my opinion) ripping people off. Yes, AC puts a lot of thought into their products, hours of work into each design they make, but still 50USD for a small piece of 3D printed equipment is hyper expensive! Surely you must agree?
I'm not slating antscanada at all, I'm just saying that the prices are a little high.
By nortorn
If you like a product and it's design, support the people who originally made this product.
Of course it is cheaper to buy it from China, but the original manufacturer loses a lot of money and customers and eventually just has to stop development in the worst case scenario.

In the last few years, several businesses in Germany went bankrupt because of that problem.
Solar panel manufacturer - Chinese "Businessmen" came here, took photos of everything, and copied the product, and offered it for a much lower price. Of course people buy it instead of the original product.
Same for batteries, Smartphones and pretty much everything else.

I always buy the original copies of software, movies and even smartphone apps.
The developers and suppliers of the original physical or virtual products are the ones who spend their money on marketing in the first place and deserve to be supported. The thieves just jump onto that train and make money by stealing intellectual property and even breaking patent-law in most cases. If you buy such rip-offs, no matter how good of a copy it is, you are a thief yourself.

Support the original developers and manufacturers.
If you can't afford the product, don't buy it at all or save for it.
You are doing the original manufacturer a great favor and dont support slave Labour, we all know under which conditions people have to work in China.

Besides, you are probably getting cancer from just touching the rip-off product due to the used materials and chemicals - a little morbid joke, but still true in many cases

Gesendet von meinem SM-T719 mit Tapatalk
By veektoor
I dont know why AntsCanada don't try to find a European distributor to allow faster and cheaper shipping.

I also don't condone buying imitation goods for the multiple reasons already mentioned.
By zlez93
Speaking about research and development, how much time do you think they put into making the AC outworld?
I admit in his videos they look pretty cool, but it's 100$ just for the container... you have to pay an additional 20$ just for some decoration. I don't know what material they're made out of so maybe that's why they're so expensive.

Personally I'm just going to wait for the new ant kit products to be released before I start considering my options. And also as for the Chinese nests I've had a look at them and they sell one type as a "air brick" I'm curious, what is air brick? And the plastic they use how do we know it's safe?
By ManicaLuca
zlez93 wrote:Speaking about research and development, how much time do you think they put into making the AC outworld?

A LOT! Time and money. Getting forms made, purchase of ovens, bonding equipment, laser cutters and that's nothing compared the many overheads.

As the the (off topic) subject of cost of AC products. I wholeheartedly feel they represent good value for money when you consider what goes into making a bespoke product such as these.

<snip>

I just wrote a very long post giving breakdowns of manufacturing costs, materials selection, the manufacturing process itself all to justify the costs of these products. Ultimately I deleted the whole thing as I don't feel that any manufacturer should have to justify the price of their own creation.

This thread has gone way off track so I'm going to close it.
scarletAsh liked this
By scarletAsh
I would like to just say as well if I may as the subject has shown itself that I think it is quite vital to our hobby that we support the businesses and people which push to sell ants and develop ant keeping products, through our consumerism it means the business can continue forward and develop further nest designs which will hopefully improve the hobby for everyone.

The cheap Chinese labour market isn't going to spawn new designs even if it is briefly financially beneficial to us as a consumer. In the long run we would be left with little selection and little progression. Ant keeping now is having a great time I feel in the direction it is heading and by supporting both local / national businesses, supporting creators of new, good designs and to continually promote the hobby I can only see it entering a very flourishing state. Or at least I hope it will.

Sadly many ant orientated business I have seen pop up to then vanish again simply because the small population base of the hobby is especially not conducive to businesses which are starting up. This only stresses the importance of supporting what we have available as producers because that is essentially what the businesses are to us. They produce we consume.

Just to say about my AC products as well. While I have been able to nitpick little things especially in 2 of my 5 AC hybrid nests I will say the price I paid for them at the time as the individual product was under £30. Since Brexit was announced and the £ devalued it will now be higher but I am very pleased with my products and would rate the solo price as worth it. The only problems with price was delivery - an inevitable reality and pricing out of AC hands + Customs - Also out of AC hands and I swear they just pick a random number. I had to pay more at customs for the AC nest than I did the nest itself on one shipment.

On top (I know I won't stop going on sorry) Having followed AC for years I have seen the progression he has taken in his nest designs and can say it has taken years for him to get to the nest designs he has to day by simply reflecting on previous designs and implementing them into new. Trial and error basically and this is why supporting him trumps supporting Chinese manufactured copies. He builds on the back of his experience and time invested into it all, the "Sweat shop" copies just leech off of him.

A political message as I feel it's important though perhaps a little shoe horned and unnecessary. With Brexit and the economic uncertainty which comes with that I personally would promote using UK businesses that are available as they may take quite a decent hit from it - One reason why I won't personally be buying anymore from AC until the far future.
By veektoor
ManicaLuca wrote:
zlez93 wrote:Speaking about research and development, how much time do you think they put into making the AC outworld?

A LOT! Time and money. Getting forms made, purchase of ovens, bonding equipment, laser cutters and that's nothing compared the many overheads.

As the the (off topic) subject of cost of AC products. I wholeheartedly feel they represent good value for money when you consider what goes into making a bespoke product such as these.

<snip>

I just wrote a very long post giving breakdowns of manufacturing costs, materials selection, the manufacturing process itself all to justify the costs of these products. Ultimately I deleted the whole thing as I don't feel that any manufacturer should have to justify the price of their own creation.

This thread has gone way off track so I'm going to close it.

I'd prefer to keep this thread open as it's a healthy discussion.

Personally I think it's completely up to AntsCanada how much they charge and I'm sure they aim to provide quality products at a competitive price while covering their overheads and making a profit.

You're never going to stop someone copying your ideas so you have to adapt your business model. I would suggest they set up a European distributor to save on shipping and customs charges.

I'm all for supporting local businesses but if they don't supply the things I need then I have to consider other options.

This post was originally about accessories not even an actual nest.

Let's keep it civil, Viktor.
By andavane
nortorn wrote:If you like a product and it's design, support the people who originally made this product.
Of course it is cheaper to buy it from China, but the original manufacturer loses a lot of money and customers and eventually just has to stop development in the worst case scenario.

In the last few years, several businesses in Germany went bankrupt because of that problem.
Solar panel manufacturer - Chinese "Businessmen" came here, took photos of everything, and copied the product, and offered it for a much lower price. Of course people buy it instead of the original product.
Same for batteries, Smartphones and pretty much everything else.

I always buy the original copies of software, movies and even smartphone apps.
The developers and suppliers of the original physical or virtual products are the ones who spend their money on marketing in the first place and deserve to be supported. The thieves just jump onto that train and make money by stealing intellectual property and even breaking patent-law in most cases. If you buy such rip-offs, no matter how good of a copy it is, you are a thief yourself.

Support the original developers and manufacturers.
You are doing the original manufacturer a great favor and dont support slave Labour, we all know under which conditions people have to work in China.

Besides, you are probably getting cancer from just touching the rip-off product due to the used materials and chemicals - a little morbid joke, but still true in many cases

Gesendet von meinem SM-T719 mit Tapatalk

Good point!

By Leafcutter
nortorn wrote:Support the original developers and manufacturers.

I am in strong agreement with this viewpoint, you can buy a nest from China for chips, but you don't get the customer support and advice that most of the original sellers provide. I won't delve too much into it all, an interesting thread on peoples' views nontheless.
By Serafine
I'm considering to buy a large or XL omni nest at some point as the price is acceptable and the design is really well-done. However this will only ever happen if custom fees for orders from Canada fall because the shipping costs + custom fees are OUTRAGEOUS.

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]