Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
There's been a lot of controversy about byFormica's products on another ant keeping community the past week. and just thought I'd like to share with you guys what it's about.

Basically; Terry came out with a product called formisazine which is a replacement for water in test tube setups,
It's advertised as "reducing stress" which it technically does but very indirectly. It stops bacterial growth in the water hence you get less moldy test tubes and that's why it's being advertised as "reducing stress".
This was priced at 15$.
In actual fact the product contains methylparaben (E218 - preservative) and blue dye and water as pointed out by Subverted.
edit: He's been using 1.5g mixed with 1 gallon water.

Ingredients that I've purchased for less than £7 and will be testing out next week.

Another product most of you are probably more familiar with is sunburst ant nectar.
Contains: Water, sucrose, sodium chloride, sodium hydroxide, methyl paraben, sodium tri-poly phosphate, tartrazine (for color)
This would be much harder to replicate as I am sure a lot of time was gone into working out the correct formulas, however if your like me who feed their ants a varied diet and who readily accept sugar water then a nice cheap alternative would be food dye + methylparaben mixed with the sugar water.
Last edited by zlez93 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As interesting as this formulation is, the next thing you know, we will be told to replace our drinking water with this stuff and be charged extra for it!

All joking aside, I'd buy this if I was a beginner because it looks appealing and does eliminate the annoyance of changing test tubes, but as I've been keeping ants for a long time, mould in test tubes is not too much of an issue that can't be solved easily. That's what his target audience is from what I have read, new ant-keepers.
I wouldn't trust any product that uses methylparaben. Not only has it being linked with breast cancer, eye damage it's also linked with male infertility due to its ability to look like oestrogen. I'm unsure how that affects the ants or even if it does at all but considering most ant keepers are men I wouldn't risk your little soldiers and I won't be risking losing my boobs

Edit: I've cut parabens out of all my products. Makeup, deodorants, perfumes etc. There's natural variants that work just as well and don't cause any damage
milant wrote:I wouldn't trust any product that uses methylparaben. Not only has it being linked with breast cancer, eye damage it's also linked with male infertility due to its ability to look like oestrogen. I'm unsure how that affects the ants or even if it does at all but considering most ant keepers are men I wouldn't risk your little soldiers and I won't be risking losing my boobs
Edit: I've cut parabens out of all my products. Makeup, deodorants, perfumes etc. There's natural variants that work just as well and don't cause any damage

1.There's no evidence suggesting that it causes breast cancer.
2. As with all chemicals you have no idea about you should wear gloves and not eat them -.-.
3. You say you "I wouldn't trust any product that uses methylparaben." and you don't want to risk loosing your boobs. But of the products you mentioned "Edit: I've cut parabens out of all my products. Makeup, deodorants, perfumes etc" None of which make reference to food.

Oh no............... :s I think your going to lose your boobs now.
Methylparaben has been found metabolised and stored in breast tissue of cancer victims at a high rate than none cancer victims. Parabens are a group of chemicals and used as preservatives. Found in everything from food to cosmetics. Deodorants, which often manage to spray onto breasts too contain methylparaben
milant wrote:Methylparaben has been found metabolised and stored in breast tissue of cancer victims at a high rate than none cancer victims.

First I've heard that but, great that only reinforces the idea it doesn't cause cancer.

Anyways I'm going to stop responding to the skeptic.

As for sugar solutions, I'm curios does anyone here make there own? What preservativeu do you use, and what else do you put inside it except for sugar xD?
milant wrote:Methylparaben has been found metabolised and stored in breast tissue of cancer victims at a high rate than none cancer victims.

Cancerous cells are VERY active cells and store a great range of substances (that's why chemical therapy works so well on them), that doesn't mean that whatever they store caused them to become cancerous.
How can anyone even justify any chemical used as part of food in scenario where you have to use gloves for your own health PROTECTION....!
"Internet scientists" doing some kind of experiments, nothing more.
DaveUnder wrote:How can anyone even justify any chemical used as part of food in scenario where you have to use gloves for your own health PROTECTION....!
DaveUnder wrote:How can anyone even justify any chemical used as part of food in scenario where you have to use gloves for your own health PROTECTION....!

How can anyone justify putting toothpaste in their mouth when it's ingredients contain chlorine and fluorine?!
How can anyone justify drinking tap water when they use chlorine!

Get a grip of yourself. Unless you live in a cave in a middle of a forest then hats off to you for your natural life choice.

Have you been looking to buy passport, online, buy[…]