Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
By Hogy-Bear
Anyone by any chance know where I could get a messor cephalotes colony. I have searched all the main European dealers and emailed a couple but can't seem to find any queens.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By Leafcutter
This species is extremely rare, Queens of Messor cephalotes won't be found for less than 500€ each. Plus they are not great in shipping from what I've heard so it's a bit of a gamble. The main European stores don't stock M. cephalotes. A small colony was 850€ a couple of years back from a German seller but other than private sales, no chance.

Guys from China have Queens sometimes but i'ts a big risk when the fastest shipping method takes 5-7 days. Not to mention they are usually illegally sourced from Africa.
By Hogy-Bear
Oh really? I just assumed they were as rare as pogonomyrmex texanus or the like as I have seen 4 different European dealers that have had them in the past. I was prepared to pay €250 for them but definitely not as much as 500! *Sigh* I have spent the last couple of months trying to figure out what new species would be the best and these seemed right up my alley. better start researching something else interesting so.

By Leafcutter
Messor cephalotes are like gold dust. Messor arenarius is probably the closest you'll get :D.

They are easy to keep sure, but you can get Pogonomyrmex a lot more readily than Messor cephalotes.

For interesting species why not Myrmecia, Neoponera or Carebara?
By Hogy-Bear
Can't keep myrmecia... They freak my family out too much [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]. I was considering carebara but since antkit only had single queens when I checked, I didn't feel comfortable raising them. either way next species has to be interesting, I'm definitely keeping my mind open though.

By Leafcutter
Solenopsis geminata are a fast growing, aggressive species. I have some colonies which will be available for sale at the end of July, after the quarantine period.
By Hogy-Bear
Yeah, sure dinomyrmex gigas are like €1500 + shipping

By Leafcutter
Hogy-Bear wrote:Yeah, sure dinomyrmex gigas are like €1500 + shipping

The normal rate for D. gigas was about 850€ for a Queen but at the moment Antdealer have 1 small colony for sale for 1600€.

Hello, Would like to know more about your set-up. […]

Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]