Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
By Squimbles
HELP!

Ok, so apparently, according to various news articles and antmanuk (see YouTube), the ant nuptial flight day occurred today. Now, I know that nuptial flight periods can span over a couple of weeks and was wondering if I had missed it or not. I cannot give my exact location but I can say that I am within a 60-mile radius of Manchester. So far I have seen no evidence of queen ants. However, I have found on my driveway, new ant openings. It appears that they're still opening them, so does this mean the nuptial day is yet to occur in my area? And if so, would it happen the next day? Or will it happen later tonight? It is currently 6:20 pm at the time of this post. Please tell me as soon as you can. Also, check out the video/s, please.

Video/s:
By Squimbles
Same! And not enough either! D: Apparently, Birmingham and Wrexham have already had their nuptial flight day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at this page (ignore the how to get rid of the ants part, who the hell would wanna do that ;D): http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/flying- ... t-10742632
Email: [email protected] if you want so we can inform each other of any sightings. I really hope I don't miss it.
By Hogy-Bear
The flights go on for a while, as long as you're watchful you will should find one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By milant
Nuptial flights can occur for weeks. They only fly on days when the weather is absolutely perfect. Usually when it's really hot then right after a rain fall. They do this so they have maximum energy and the hot air helps them to fly higher in the sky using less energy and the rain makes the ground soft so they can burrow easier.

In tropical climates they tend to fly all on one day as the weather is pretty constant so they all manage to fly whilst here in the uk our weather is random as hell so you'll see flights for weeks. Last year I caught 18 queens over 3 weeks
Squimbles liked this
By milant
Pro tip:
If you miss the actual flight go into your garden and look for a small hole about the width of a cotton bud with little half pea size balls of mud outside. This is where the queen is burrowing. Wait for her to come back to the surface with some soil then quickly block the hole with some cotton wool and you'll be able to catch her. It's a lot safer and easier than digging up the soil where you might accidentally cut her in half with a shovel
Squimbles liked this
By Squimbles
What a smart idea, well I have seen many holes in my front garden, however, they all seem to be from the huge nest which resides there. I know this may be a stupid question with an obvious answer, but - if the ants are removing dirt from underground, does that mean that they're still preparing for the nuptial. I have not seen any queens yet but I have not seen any poke their heads out either. And as it is 8 pm, is it too late now right?
By Zoron
A day or two before there may be masses of workers removing dirt/sand from the mound. A good indication of a nuptial flight soon is when the ants coming out of the hole are about a third of the size of the hole they have dug. Also watch them for a while perhaps a half hour to an hour and see if any alates poke their heads out to see whats going on. When looking to see if nuptial flight is happening look for swarms of workers outside the nest for what appears as no apparent reason. This can look like a giant ant war but with no enemy. The third nest you showed in the video looks like it may be close for nuptial flight for those tetramorium caespitums.

Wish you luck!
~ Asoroa
Squimbles liked this
By Squimbles
I hope so! Try looking out for loose mounds of soil and dirt. It appears that the ants are still removing dirt in my garden so my guess is they're still clearing the entrances for the new alates to fit through. I sadly have only four test tubes so I am going to have to improvise with a bunch of tubs.

The worst thing for me when it comes to ant catching is how I look when doing it. I feel like a bit of an insect freak xD. But I try not to care lol, after all, It'll benefit me in the long run!
By milant
Ants dig their holes post nuptial flight. Once the queen has mated her pheromone changes and the nest she came from will become hostile towards her. This is one of many reasons why they fly and also why they fly so far. If you see little holes with a small mound of fresh mud near them there's a new queen inside or it's just another worker tunnel. The ants want to get rid of the alates as fast as possible and predators really enjoy eating ants so they dig dozens of escape holes so the alates have the best chance of not being eaten.
Squimbles liked this
By Squimbles
Today it was cold and cloudy, however, in the morning, the sun was out for about two hours. In this time, my friend said he saw ants while out of town. And at the current moment, no ants are digging at the new exits in my driveway. Have I missed the nuptial then? D: Or are they just waiting until tomorrow. There was slight precipitation earlier today, so have they just blocked the exit holes until further notice?
My colony

Episode 5: https://youtu.be/WfbSFKz8YYQ I hope y[…]

Are there any antshops in Seoul ?

Are there any antshops in Seoul ?

Ytong nests

Здравствуйте дамы и господа! [img]http://img10[…]