Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
a few hours ago i caught my first queen ant but i dont know its species and if i have to feed it in his first days.
I found it with one worker but i couldnt grab it does that inflict on anything? and if so do i have to Free it?

Photo
Attachments
9a76031d-456a-4aa3-a7ea-f70db004040e.jpg
6d746ffd-94e4-45f2-888d-91b237821b40.jpg
Last edited by AntKeeper101 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
From the picture you provided i think its a Camponotus sp. If the worker and queen are staying together and interacting with each other they maybe related. I would just feed her honey and wait till she has larvae if they dont have eggs or larvae after 1 month or so i would feed her some insects.If the queen and worker aren't interacting with each other i would just free the worker and do the same as before.
Bhu Yonten wrote:From the picture you provided i think its a Camponotus sp. If the worker and queen are staying together and interacting with each other they maybe related. I would just feed her honey and wait till she has larvae if they dont have eggs or larvae after 1 month or so i would feed her some insects.If the queen and worker aren't interacting with each other i would just free the worker and do the same as before.
Bhu Yonten wrote:From the picture you provided i think its a Camponotus sp. If the worker and queen are staying together and interacting with each other they maybe related. I would just feed her honey and wait till she has larvae if they dont have eggs or larvae after 1 month or so i would feed her some insects.If the queen and worker aren't interacting with each other i would just free the worker and do the same as before.

The thing is i couldnt catch the worker but the queen hasnt been making any signs of stressing out also isnt this queen fully claustral?
It does look a lot like a queen, the big thorax is a quite good indicator. The most likely species are Camponotus, Formica or Cataglyphis - I'd say she's a Camponotus.

How cold is it currently and how cold will it become within the next months at your place? If it gets kinda cold there's good chance she won't lay eggs until after hibernation. If it's staying warm she just needs a calm dark place and some time to feel safe - it's best to just put her on a shelf or into a quiet room, cover the tube with some paper or a towel and check back on her in two weeks. Camponotus take 1-3 months to go from egg to worker, so you're not missing anything when you don't look at her for some weeks.
Serafine wrote:It does look a lot like a queen, the big thorax is a quite good indicator. The most likely species are Camponotus, Formica or Cataglyphis - I'd say she's a Camponotus.

How cold is it currently and how cold will it become within the next months at your place? If it gets kinda cold there's good chance she won't lay eggs until after hibernation. If it's staying warm she just needs a calm dark place and some time to feel safe - it's best to just put her on a shelf or into a quiet room, cover the tube with some paper or a towel and check back on her in two weeks. Camponotus take 1-3 months to go from egg to worker, so you're not missing anything when you don't look at her for some weeks.

its going to be summer and its pretty hot already also im not sure if you saw in my title description but i found it with 1 ant witch i couldnt catch with the queen do i still not feed it?
Hello fellow Ant enthusiasts.

Hi, I’m Clair from the UK and completely new in th[…]

I have just received a Lasius niger queen with egg[…]