Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
I appreciate this is a quiet time for most ant keepers but hopefully someone can help me. I am researching and preparing over the winter ready for my first colony in the spring/summer. Likely it will either be a messor sp or campotonus sp

I am looking at formicarium options, both commercial and DIY and have a few questions.

1) I have read from a few sources that formicarium size is important when you have a new colony, in that you don't want it to be too big; otherwise you risk the ants leaving their waste pile inside the formicarium. But rather than start with a small formicarium and bolt on or move the ants can you use a larger one and simply fill most of the chambers with substrate to discourage the ants from using them, or will they simply excavate and still create a waste pile inside? I like this idea if it will work because it means the ants should excavate has they need new chambers which means its one less thing I need to be concerned with.

2) I am considering making my own formicarium out of AAC, but would like to include heating. How do you typically heat a AAC nest? I am thinking of maybe running a PVC or MDPE tube across the back wall of the nest interior to create a sealed tunnel only accessible from the outside but which runs across one end of the nest; through which a heating cable can be threaded.

3) how to you monitor humidity inside the nest? I was thinking of drilling a whole in the AAC nest wall and pressure fitting a hygrometer/thermometer probe, is this a viable option?

4) Is a thermostat necessary when using a heating cable (assuming you provide sufficient space for a thermal gradient)? again where do you fit it normally. If I was going to use one I would probably use an STC 1000, since they are cheaper and more reliable than reptile stats (IME)

Thanks for the help :-)

Q
Hi welcome to the forum,

We produce some Ytong Nests in the UK here: http://www.lcants.com

You can fill a nest with substrate and allow the ants to excavate extra chambers as needed.

Ytong nests can be heated using a heat mat, incubator, heat cable and pretty much any other heating method.

Humidity can be monitored by placing a humidity probe inside the nest.

I would always recommend a thermostat, to prevent overheating which could have serious impacts on your colony.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]