Discuss keeping ants in here. Including what to feed them, hydration, development, disease and everything in between.
New members should post your questions in here.
By Geo
Leafcutter wrote:No it's fine standing up on its own. I have a black version of that one in my Camponotus fulvopilosus set up.

thanks I am surprised how nice and helpful, most forums is like Hahah newb, anyway, should I place it in the tank or outside it? sorry for the dumb questions, just want to get it right lol
By Geo
Antsy wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/W3D12E

Good (; I understand now, ordered has been placed, also sorry to keep asking and spamming the forums, but Camponotus nicobarensis queen, lay eggs lots? like is there a time of the year she lays eggs, and stops, or is it on going?

many thanks again, I am now one of you ;D
By Leafcutter
Geo wrote:

Good (; I understand now, ordered has been placed, also sorry to keep asking and spamming the forums, but Camponotus nicobarensis queen, lay eggs lots? like is there a time of the year she lays eggs, and stops, or is it on going?

Eggs are laid all year round, that's practically all the Queen does, sits and lays eggs :D.
By Geo
Leafcutter wrote:
Geo wrote:

Eggs are laid all year round, that's practically all the Queen does, sits and lays eggs :D.

Sweet, I have a feeling they will out grow the nest I bought fairly quick!, . but I can just extend in the future, so its no biggy, this sounds really cool.
By Dan
Wow, it's great to have someone ask all the questions that newbies everywhere are thinking. This topic will be very very helpful to newbies, Geo, so thanks for not being afraid to ask loads of questions.
By Geo
Dan wrote:Wow, it's great to have someone ask all the questions that newbies everywhere are thinking. This topic will be very very helpful to newbies, Geo, so thanks for not being afraid to ask loads of questions.

thanks, I am sure I have few more, in the back of my mind haha, like how many eggs does the queen lay at a time etc, also what does Camponotus cf mean? as on antkit it says Camponotus cf nicobarensis.
By Geo
Hello, just thought I'd say something else, I believe Ill receive my ants on tuesday, due to them shipping it a faster service then my other items, that means ill get the ants first, so i wont have my set up right away I don't think, unless the post is fast on my Hermes 2-5 working days,, so I guess ill keep them in the test tube, till then? but what should I feed them? as I am not sure if all my stuff will arrive the same day or not.. just sugar water or something?

also bought a usb microscope, so hopefully I can share its progress, maybe a live stream of some sort.
By Daubz1977
I give all my ants in a test tube a little drop of honey and a crushed insect, mealworm or cricket I also give my camponotus cruentatus a little bit of cooked chicken, they love it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By Geo
Daubz1977 wrote:I give all my ants in a test tube a little drop of honey and a crushed insect, mealworm or cricket I also give my camponotus cruentatus a little bit of cooked chicken, they love it.

any type of honey? jars etc?
By jonthefish
If you get the ants early before the tank arrives. I think it would be an idea to not open the test tube and attempt to feed the ants. I in vision ants running out of the tube whilst your trying to place food into it lol. Its not like its going to be weeks before you get the ant tank. I would be tempted to suggest leaving the tube in a dark and quiet place until the ant home arrives.
By AKF
I would agree. The nest is likely to arrive the following day so probably best to wait :)
By Geo
I will, thank you all, so for the live crickets, I know what gut loading is, due to looking after geckos in the past, its just feed them with VEG ETC, to fill them up, so I guess after that I put them in the freezer, and that kills them, and makes them last longer?. also when I bring them out for feeding do they need to defrost before I give them to the ants or can I just put it in.. and finally can I use normal tap water as a drinking source?

also getting a usb microscope.. so don't know if you would be interested in live stream etc.

and again, I know I have asked so many questions, but in future you can just refer someone else new to this post haha.
By AKF
We would love another live stream. If you need help setting up, let me know :)

You got it about the crickets. When its feeding time, just take it out and by the time its in the nest it's defrosted enough. Ensure you remove any remains before the end of the day because defrosted crickets don't keep.

Normal tap water is fine for drinking water.
By Dan
Yeah, can you actually freeze a whole box of insects, and then defrost them one by one over the period of a few months? I have a box of mealworms, but they're starting to develop into beetles or die, and my ants aren't at feeding stage yet.
By Geo
Dan wrote:Yeah, can you actually freeze a whole box of insects, and then defrost them one by one over the period of a few months? I have a box of mealworms, but they're starting to develop into beetles or die, and my ants aren't at feeding stage yet.

I think Antsy, said something like once you take them out and place them in the nest, they're defrosted enough, so yes (: you can freeze a whole box of anything, so they keep longer.. no expert, but from what I have been told yes (:.. putting them in the freezer kills them, keeps them fresh longer.
By Dan
Brilliant! How I'm ever gonna convince Mum to let me keep a tub of mealworms in the freezer I don't know, but it's good to know.
By Geo
Antsy wrote:We would love another live stream. If you need help setting up, let me know :)

You got it about the crickets. When its feeding time, just take it out and by the time its in the nest it's defrosted enough. Ensure you remove any remains before the end of the day because defrosted crickets don't keep.

Normal tap water is fine for drinking water.

I'd also love a live stream, just let me know what I need to do to start it (: , again thanks, think I have went from Newb, to Novice, at least.. haha.
By Geo
Dan wrote:Brilliant! How I'm ever gonna convince Mum to let me keep a tub of mealworms in the freezer I don't know, but it's good to know.

Well you could hide them in a box you can't see through, but you never know they might try go for some ice cream.. and get a big shock! lol
By Dan
Most likely I would be the one to go for some midnight ice cream and completely forget that they're mealworms...!!
By Geo
Dan wrote:Most likely I would be the one to go for some midnight ice cream and completely forget that they're mealworms...!!

You should do it for sure, as insects. ... go bad and smell quickly, from gecko experience ... although they eat live ones,.. but it would save money, as you would have to buy a fresh batch every so often... and if you freeze them, they get killed anyway, and they can be kept for much longer.. like if food is about to go out of date, stick it in the freezer, and months later you can defrost and it would still seem fresh like the day it went in, I will be doing it for sure, you should too (:
By Daubz1977
I've had a tub of mealworm in my fridge for over 2 months now and there still good,I just take them out once a week for a coupler of hours chuck some food in then back on the fridge they go

By Geo
jonthefish wrote:I snapped the crickets in half and just feed half a cricket, or for variety half a house fly.

Yeah, that was one question I was going to ask, should I crush the cricket up, or cut in half, or leave whole.
Last edited by Geo on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Geo
Daubz1977 wrote:I've had a tub of mealworm in my fridge for over 2 months now and there still good,I just take them out once a week for a coupler of hours chuck some food in then back on the fridge they go

You mean freezer? I think that's what you meant (:
By Daubz1977
No fridge

By Geo
Daubz1977 wrote:No fridge

Oh, looks like they last long in the fridge as well, I still think freezing them would make them last even longer.
By Daubz1977
Good advice freezing crickets tho, I'm just feeding some to go in freezer, I'm sick of wife going crazy because she's found a cricket in her shoe out make up bag

By Dan
Well in the fridge, they wouldn't die, they'd just be very inactive, so would last longer (like hibernating).
By Geo
Dan wrote:Well in the fridge, they wouldn't die, they'd just be very inactive, so would last longer (like hibernating).

I'd say you wanted them dead.. so freezer is a good option lol

10th January '17 Feeding time again! https[…]

Forum slow?

Not slow for me but sometimes I can't post due to […]