Discussion on artificial ants nests including Test Tubes, Soil Nests, Foraging Areas and Ytong Nests
By 1000101010
i just started construction of the tic tac box mk2 the original was a tic tac box with some decoration in it and a pen acting as a water reservoir. this one i've filled it up with plaster of paris my plan is to get the plaster of paris out intact (pun intended) and sanding/carving some chambers into it then putting it back in the tic tac box for a small formicarium. probably going to my L.nigers as i have bigger plans for my C.ligniperdus.

if you spot any problems with this please tell me even though it's a bit late as i'm waiting for the plaster to set as i'm writing this.
By 1000101010
hasn't gone as planned getting the plaster out the box broke the box but the plasters intact (pun most definitely intended) so i need a new box and more tic tacs for me :)
By 1000101010
it's done, waiting for my phone to charge so i can get some pictures up.
this nest is the first nest i've seen that is horizontal, vertical and upside down as i carved chambers into every side. i would be nice if i could get some information on how to hydrate a plaster nest of this size.
Ranisimo liked this
By 1000101010

i used to think my phone had a good camera.
By milant
1000101010 wrote:it's done, waiting for my phone to charge so i can get some pictures up.
this nest is the first nest i've seen that is horizontal, vertical and upside down as i carved chambers into every side. i would be nice if i could get some information on how to hydrate a plaster nest of this size.

to hydrate the nest you could remove the plaster, place a very thin layer of sand in the bottom, cotton wool on top and then drill a tiny hole (maybe heat up a needle) in the bottom and then you can hydrate the wool and the sand will prevent them from getting out the hole
By 1000101010
i have dug out a cm3 hole and filled it with cotton you can see it in the top photo do you think this will do?
Good morning fellow enthusiast

I started ant keeping when I was younger but never[…]