By Daubz1977
Ive had this colony for a month or so now,its 1 queen and 4 workers, these ants are brilliant when theyre active and hunting but not active and hunting that often at the moment,in the last couple of days 5 eggs have arrived so this is a step in the right direction because i was a bit worried because i have read a lot about this species and they sound like they can be a struggle to get the colony going and they suffer with mites,so im keeping the moisture down and also keeping them away from my other colonies
By Figtree
Hi, what would you say is the key point to getting them to start laying eggs?

Moisture and temp well regulated, food source, leaving them as undisturbed as possible etc?
By formica123
As it was me who had the colony before dale, I would say that food, a high air humidity and a temperature around 23 is ideal for brood development. Food must be offered LIVE otherwise the ants reject it. They love flies, crickeye and moths
By Daubz1977
Ive always got food in there with them, they are on crickets and smal dubia roaches,the humidity is around 60-65 and temperature is at 24-25 degrees and i have the boiling tube wrapped in foil and disturb them as little as possible they are easily spooked and quite skittish due to there good eye site the slightest movement spooks them.Also i have the base of the tank covered in sand loam the ants have moved some to the entrance of the boiling tube so they can regulate the conditions in there boiling tube themselves. I put quite a lot of research into this species and i learned high humidity isnt great for them due to issues with mites so once a week i wet a cotton ball and put it in the setup at the end that isnt heated and this seems to be working fine.
By Leafcutter
Daubz1977 wrote:Ive always got food in there with them, they are on crickets and smal dubia roaches,the humidity is around 60-65 and temperature is at 24-25 degrees and i have the boiling tube wrapped in foil and disturb them as little as possible they are easily spooked and quite skittish due to there good eye site the slightest movement spooks them.Also i have the base of the tank covered in sand loam the ants have moved some to the entrance of the boiling tube so they can regulate the conditions in there boiling tube themselves. I put quite a lot of research into this species and i learned high humidity isnt great for them due to issues with mites so once a week i wet a cotton ball and put it in the setup at the end that isnt heated and this seems to be working fine.

In general, high humidity is fine as long as there is good airflow. Oecophylla are tricky to keep as they need high humidity yet good airflow so good air circulation helps to keep mites and other bacteria away. Since crickets harbour mites, it is very important to remove any remaining bits of them as mites will just spread and spread if the cricket remains become damp.
).
Love to see some pictures of this species.
By Daubz1977
I will get some later today mate.Im going to buy an antstore fan in january to circulate a bit more air or if anyone knows of an equivalent so i dont have to pay high postage and to stop me spending loads of money i can never just buy what i need off antstore always a couple of sneaky extras.
By formica123
Daubz1977 wrote:Ive always got food in there with them, they are on crickets and smal dubia roaches,the humidity is around 60-65 and temperature is at 24-25 degrees and i have the boiling tube wrapped in foil and disturb them as little as possible they are easily spooked and quite skittish due to there good eye site the slightest movement spooks them.Also i have the base of the tank covered in sand loam the ants have moved some to the entrance of the boiling tube so they can regulate the conditions in there boiling tube themselves. I put quite a lot of research into this species and i learned high humidity isnt great for them due to issues with mites so once a week i wet a cotton ball and put it in the setup at the end that isnt heated and this seems to be working fine.

Exactly the same way I kept them. I dint think a fan will be needed, just add mesh to the lid of the setup or a few air holes and this will be sufficient ventilation
By Leafcutter
Daubz1977 wrote:I will get some later today mate.Im going to buy an antstore fan in january to circulate a bit more air or if anyone knows of an equivalent so i dont have to pay high postage and to stop me spending loads of money i can never just buy what i need off antstore always a couple of sneaky extras.

Just buy a cheap PC fan from eBay or a local shop and connect the wires to a power supply 5V I believe. That's what I did for my Atta incubator. A 120mm fan connected to mains via a power supply and it works fine. Luke will be able to advise you further ;).
By Daubz1977
we are now up to 10 eggs, im a lot happier now that there is some eggs but still a bit concerned as ive heard this species is quite prone to eating brood so im not going to disturb them to much and im making sure there is at least one cricket running around the tank, i really want to get some photos but i dont want to bother them to much.Does anyone know the time from egg to larvae in this species?
By Daubz1977
Ok mate, thanks a lot, expected the eggs to be bigger

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By Daubz1977
decided to get some photos,there not great but the boiling tube is a bit dirty

you can just make out the eggs in the 4th photo down.
By Daubz1977
I saw the queen doing something id never seen her do before, she had her abdomen curled right underneath her almost like she was trying to sting herself she was sat like this for about 10-15 mins it looked really odd, any ideas what this was?
By Daubz1977
I thought that at the time because she has been looking fat for a few days now but she didnt seem to lay any then just stopped doing it, i dont think i disturbed her as the boiling tube is wrapped in red acetate and i didnt move while i was watching her, not sure i even breathed tbh lol
dronan liked this
Hi

@Hyperion found one

Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]