By RobJ
I have a Queen and her first workers coming tomorrow from antkit for my youtube series based on keeping ants in the uncle Milton sand nests.
Last edited by RobJ on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RobJ
I just widened the nest sand entrance for my new queen.

I used my multitool with a mini drill bit to open up the hole for the queen

Easy to do before adding sand and now fits all ant queens for sure :-D
Attachments
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG
By RobJ
Dam dam dam. 2 of my 4 workers are dead. :( Unhappy ant keeper. I also lost one other ant from a different colony today to age but still what a day !

Thanks
RobJ ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️
By RobJ
After losing workers in the post I can not in good mind put them into the ant farm. Am going to nurse them to 20-30 workers before I think about anything. For now I have put them into a tiny outworld to act as there nest and foraging area and means I can keep an eye on them. ImageImageImage

Thanks
RobJ
By AntLove
Hey @RobJ mind if I ask whats the big white glob at the top of their nest.
By RobJ
AntLove wrote:Hey @RobJ mind if I ask whats the big white glob at the top of their nest.

It's just foam wrapped in cottonwood
By AntLove
RobJ wrote:
AntLove wrote:Hey @RobJ mind if I ask whats the big white glob at the top of their nest.

It's just foam wrapped in cottonwood

Whats its purpose?
By RobJ
Humidity and drinking source

Thanks
RobJ
By RobJ
Hey guys day 1 of keeping a tiny colony Here's the queen eating some apple. Sorry about the range am making sure not to disturb themImage

Thanks
RobJ
By RobJ
Update: Now that I have had her for a few days she's settled in. And I have also read up on there particular behaviour traits like being shy etc and I must say she's the 2nd smallest ant queen I have and by far the smallest workers I have found myself taking extra care to ensure there wellbeing. They have all been eating apple a lot but not anything else that I have seen.

I was in swapping the apple for fresh minding my own business when I saw the queen climb onto me lol. I got some cotton wool one handed and try to persuade her to get off but no. She sat there washing and looking about till she stopped moving once she found the end of my finger. I was so scared of hurting her getting her off I waited her out for 30 odd mins till she let me put her back into the nest. ImageImage

Thanks
RobJ
Dan, number6 liked this
By RobJ

Thanks
RobJ
By RobJ
JUST FOUND A NEW WORKER! HAPPY :party:
By RobJ
These girls are now in hibernation and will return in march

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gold fishes Lasius niger journal