By RobJ
Just ordered a queen and 5-10 workers and vertical nest for them.

looking forward to these ;-) ;-) ;-)
Attachments
product-69.jpg
number6, Alexander52197 liked this
By number6
these are great very active and love to hunt :-)
By RobJ
number6 wrote:these are great very active and love to hunt :-)

Yes am really looking forward to seeing them
By RobJ
Here is the first update for my new ants. There's about 100 or more workers and 1 healthy large queen. There outworld is in order with antkit now. Once I can let them out the test tube photos etc will flow better

Thanks
RobJ
Alexander52197 liked this
By RobJ
AntLove wrote:How did you get so many workers though you only ordered 5-10?

My mistake. It never said how many. It's was phrased with her 1st workers
By Dan
RobJ wrote:
AntLove wrote:How did you get so many workers though you only ordered 5-10?

My mistake. It never said how many. It's was phrased with her 1st workers

Yeah, that's what happens when you order '5-10 ants' from AntHouse, you get 6 million! :-D
By RobJ
AntLove wrote:Ah ok wasnt aware it was from anthouse thought this was an Antkit order.

Nope. They don't have species so I shopped at the next best thing
By AntLove
RobJ wrote:
AntLove wrote:Ah ok wasnt aware it was from anthouse thought this was an Antkit order.

Nope. They don't have species so I shopped at the next best thing

Very nice I think I may also place an order after my next formicaria purchase.
By RobJ
Here is the raw move in video. https://vimeo.com/164031987

Thanks
RobJ
By Occultus
Nice colony Rob, You'll have 1000's of workers with a few months time trust me! Very entertaining ants although they can be an absolute nightmare :-)
By RobJ
Occultus wrote:Nice colony Rob, You'll have 1000's of workers with a few months time trust me! Very entertaining ants although they can be an absolute nightmare :-)

Do you mean by escaping ? As over the past weeks I have found 2 workers walking about both returned to the outworld. Not sure how there doing it as there's only 2 managed it. But I must say these are rapidly becoming one of my favourite species. Just the sheer industrial nature of them I saw them take a full-size cricket that even my large ants could not do and they took it all the way into the nest to devoured it and then dropped it back off outside. Where I hovered the mess up with the usb vacuum lol
By Occultus
Hi, yes they are fantastic ants. I used to keep a colony which started with 10 workers. After 5 months their were many thousands of workers. I purchased them an antscanada Omni nest which they broke out of constantly. I came home one night to countless ants all over my desk, floor and other ant nests.
They grow so fast, I ended up using a soil tank nest just to give them the space they required.
They were adopted by jonthefish but even he thought they were a nightmare and passed them on to another keeper :)

I still think they are amazing, I would like to try Pheidole sp later on
RobJ liked this
By Nardimai
My pheidole colony is growing fast too. I have also pheidole indica, they have little bit bigger workers and soldiers are huge! Both are fastastic species, but indica is more active and seems to be more aggressive too. Both are in my larger "Nardinest" and i wonder how long they have inaf space..now all pallidulas are in one chamber (150) and nest have about 100 chambers.

Lähetetty minun PLK-L01 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Occultus liked this
By RobJ
Ok think i found there point of escape, the joint on the nest has a tiny gap so I have just blue tacked it and i think that's it.
Fingers crossed :P :x :P
Occultus liked this
By Nardimai
Maybe, i did my old nest same think with plastecine and pallidula workers start chew it immediately. So i have to remove it.

By RobJ
Nardimai wrote:Maybe, i did my old nest same think with plastecine and pallidula workers start chew it immediately. So i have to remove it.

Ideal for Pheidole pallidula and Temnothorax sp. Care should be taken with very small species to prevent escapes. A small amount of silicone sealant around the flange of the connector will provide a good airtight seal yet still allow the connector to be removed in the future

Got that off the antkit site so i think i will try that
By RobJ
Nardimai wrote:Order some day my nest, and you can forget silicone and handcream ext. :-)

Do you have a site or do you just sell on the forum. I did not even know you where selling your builds
By RobJ
ImageImage

Thanks
RobJ
Alexander52197 liked this
By SugarGliderDude
I got a colony of P Pallidula from Anthouse a couple of weeks ago, i lost about 75% of the colony in the post..

they made a massive pile of dead bodies in the corner of the arena.

I'm not a big fan of a tube of Ants just put in a jiffy bag...... :-(
By RobJ
SugarGliderDude wrote:I got a colony of P Pallidula from Anthouse a couple of weeks ago, i lost about 75% of the colony in the post..

they made a massive pile of dead bodies in the corner of the arena.

I'm not a big fan of a tube of Ants just put in a jiffy bag...... :-(

That's a dam shame. Are they getting back in there feet ?

Yes am not a fan of just a Jiffy bag ether.
By number6
@RobJ got to love these escape artists im sure there main objective is to see who can escape first :-D strange thing as well i have a http://www.anthouse.es/en/de-acrilico/4 ... 5x10-.html that i had to glue together because they can get between the layers and escape from the extension ports even when sealed off. i also have an antworld setup with everything from the original just glued together and they never try to escape from it i can leave the top open and they dont seem to care. so its a a choice natural and mostly hidden but with no escapes or visible and constantly trying to escape. and silicon or glue is the best solution Plasticine and blue tac is only a barrier for so long as they eat through it.
By RobJ
@number6 well I no the blue tac is only a short term measure but I definitely have found where that one or two ants where getting out of as for the past how many days I've had zero escapees and the hold was so small they were only finding it by accident anyway so there not a lot of incentive to try and chew out. am monitoring things and checking every day

Thanks
RobJ
Occultus liked this
By RobJ
There numbers are dwindling and there's no real reason for it. I've checked and rechecked humidity and temperature and food availability and they eat absolutely everything I give them and still the queen don't lay many eggs??? She's slowing down for hibernation??

Thanks
RobJ
Gold fishes Lasius niger journal

I expect the colony to gain around 70 new workers[…]

Hello

Hello, I'm just getting into this amazing hobby of[…]

Good morning fellow enthusiast

I started ant keeping when I was younger but never[…]