By RobJ
Today I bought a large 150+ worker and 4 queen colony from a fellow forum member @jeoff82
I plan to use an antkit 8 chamber nest for them that I bought last year and have been waiting to use for sooo long !
the 8 chamber is quoted to handle 500 workers so should be ok size fit for them.

Expect photos and videos upon their arrival.
NewAntGuy liked this
By RobJ
Hey there everyone there here :) After letting them move into the nest I had put aside for them here's pictures of there first meal and nest/setup ImageImageImageImage

Thanks
RobJ
By scarletAsh
Does look really good :). If you ever have huge amounts of brood I'd happily buy some for my Formica sagnuinea ;).

EDIT: Embarrasingly misspelled buy
Last edited by scarletAsh on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeoff82 liked this
By jeoff82
Wow they look happy. Wont be long before they outgrow that nest. Have fun at feeding time they can be a handful sometimes lol. These are pretty aggressive to nest disturbances aswell. I did link this colony with a slightly smaller size Sanguinea colony a couple of months ago and the Fusca's wiped them out in 2 hours!
By RobJ
Yes looks that way but when they fill the chambers half the nest goes empty. So I have some time before then

Thanks
RobJ
By RobJ
Turns out I never got the use the nest I wanted as it was 13mm.
Thanks
RobJ
By RobJ
This is Jeff and he follows me about his outworld and just watches me none stop. All day

Thanks
RobJ
jeoff82, dvv liked this
By dvv
RobJ wrote:This is Jeff and he follows me about his outworld and just watches me none stop. All day

Thanks
RobJ
nice picture! good luck with your formica fusca,beautiful ants!
By RobJ
I've cleaned there size 8 nest 3 times now over the month and they keep making it filthy within days, anyone have a similar experience??

Thanks
RobJ
By RobJ
Yes there nest. I move them out of it and open it up, clean and give it back to them.

Thanks
RobJ
By jeoff82
What I have noticed with using acrylic nests is that they will move stuff inside and it generally looks messy. I have a Lasius Flavus colony that has done the same thing, I just leave them to it. Now I use the plastic outworlds linked together with test tube set ups and the little round outworlds you sell. By the way, have you got anymore?
By RobJ
Hmmm yes it seems to be the water from the sponge leeches in way too heavily down with a slightly heated compartment you cause condensation seems to be an issue even one drop of water floods the nest.

Yes there's 3 left from the most recent batch

http://robjsantsreal.wixsite.com/robjsa ... i-outworld

Thanks
RobJ
By RobJ
These girls are now in hibernation and will return in march

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good morning fellow enthusiast

I started ant keeping when I was younger but never[…]