Discussions on wild and captive ant experiments as well as news stories and public studies involving ants.
I catch many ants from my garden and put it in a formicarium looks like one of the queen started putting some eggs. Can anyone tell me which type of ants are? I don't know what to give them to eat I put an insect but they didn't eat it, a drop of honey but nothing. I saw them in the trees a lot if that help.ImageImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Ok so first fo all you should mix anqueens if you dont know their species. 2. U should put the queens you catch into a testube setup not a formicarium. 3. I wouldnt recommend putting random workers in with queens.

What is the size of the queens? What color do they have? Are they shiny or are they covered with small hair? Where did you caught them?

They look like pheidole to me but i dont think i am qualified enough to guess a species from a photo :D
Gh0st SK wrote:Ok so first fo all you should mix anqueens if you dont know their species. 2. U should put the queens you catch into a testube setup not a formicarium. 3. I wouldnt recommend putting random workers in with queens.

What is the size of the queens? What color do they have? Are they shiny or are they covered with small hair? Where did you caught them?

They look like pheidole to me but i dont think i am qualified enough to guess a species from a photo :D
Those queens are from the same colony so I just grab them together and I didn't have a test tube so I put in the formicarium with the hope they will adapt. I can't tell at all but looks like some of the queens lay some eggs so I am hoping for the best. I tried to feed them but not sure what they like and I am getting worry for they survival.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
im sorry but i dont think i got what you meant to say there :D.did you catch them when they were flying? if so what country do you live in? and why are there some majors in the nest?

Dont worry about them starving they are claustral species (they dont need food but a little drop of honey would help)
they need a source of water (just fill a test tube half way with water and plug it with cotton)
this is how you do it

That nest looks to big for them get a test tube (maybe around 15cm long and 13mm wide and move the queens in, ants dont like big open and bright places.cover the nest with anything black or red.

How big are the queens? Pheidole queens are usually around 1cm.

Have you been looking to buy passport, online, buy[…]

Hello. Ready to learn about ants!

Hi. My 11 year old son is very keen to have a form[…]