New members come in and introduce yourself.
Forum rules: When you introduce yourself, you will automatically increase your forum rank and be able to see many more forums and topics.
By number6
hi @hyperion welcome :-)
Hyperion liked this
By number6
@Hyperion what ants are you intrested in or what ants do you keep ? :-)
By Hyperion
Well number6 ive had lasius niger and camponotus nicobarensis for a while now so I'd say there my favourite. But I've caught a few queens other than lasius niger this year a black Formica queen which I think is fusca and a myrmica rubra queen. Hbu guys? Good year this year for catching queens?
By number6
Hyperion wrote:Well number6 ive had lasius niger and camponotus nicobarensis for a while now so I'd say there my favourite. But I've caught a few queens other than lasius niger this year a black Formica queen which I think is fusca and a myrmica rubra queen. Hbu guys? Good year this year for catching queens?
@hyperion very nice selection :) I keep over 30 different types of ants and I keep termites this year I think is a good year for all UK species the hot weather early in the year brought the ants out early and they had flights at the right time making huge Queens and lots more than previous years so in all I think it's a good thing for UK ant species.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
By Hyperion
Oh yea I'm pretty sure they are the only species in my area never heard of any others around although I could be wrong. 30 :o. Termites? How are they working out? Are they hard to keep?
By number6
Hyperion wrote:Oh yea I'm pretty sure they are the only species in my area never heard of any others around although I could be wrong. 30 :o. Termites? How are they working out? Are they hard to keep?
@hyperion termites are easy to keep they only need cellulose food source so rotten wood or cardboard or paper when I start a new nest I use toilet paper then over time add cardboard then sawdust they grow a new queen every month unlike ants that have a queen start to finish

By number6
number6 wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Oh yea I'm pretty sure they are the only species in my area never heard of any others around although I could be wrong. 30 :o. Termites? How are they working out? Are they hard to keep?
@hyperion termites are easy to keep they only need cellulose food source so rotten wood or cardboard or paper when I start a new nest I use toilet paper then over time add cardboard then sawdust they grow a new queen every month unlike ants that have a queen start to finish

Tried adding a picture hope it shows upImageImage

By Hyperion
Ooo awesome they look canny like I thought they needed them hills for ventilation didn't think it would be possible to keep them in captivity and I also thought that they had naptual flights like ants. Very interesting.
Odontomachus monticola journal

I caught a beautiful dealate on the stairs at my s[…]

Myrmica Rubra Hibernation

1. How do i get them all into the nest for hibern[…]

Hibernation questions

Lasius niger needs 15°C or colder. They have an ex[…]